Yacht Destiny

Adventures with Janice and Andy

11 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
10 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
09 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
08 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
07 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
07 May 2019 | Sisimiut, Fjord No 2
03 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
02 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
01 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
27 April 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
26 April 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
25 April 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
24 April 2019 | Sismiut, West Greenland
14 April 2019 | Fox's Marina Ipswich
08 November 2018 | Ipswich, UK
25 October 2018 | England
23 October 2018 | NE England
20 October 2018 | NE Scotland
18 October 2018 | NE Scotland

Off the Coast of Akitsaq

19 September 2018 | East Greenland
Janice
Last night was great. As the sun waned behind the continuous ranges of high peaks and ice caps the moon rose to be kissed by the sun's last rosy rays. Then the heavens were dressed in sparkling stars. Thinking we might have ice bergs we had opted to both be on watch for part of it. This in itself was enjoyable. We put on an audio book - George RR Martin's "A Knight of the Seven". Excellent and well recommended. We get more instalments tonight. For those into Games of Thrones, this covers 100 years before GOT, so the demise of the dragon kings. With no ice to mention we started three hour watches from 01.30 hours today and have continued this throughout the day. We plan to repeat last night's watch but have the 'two on' later when the moon has waned.

We have had several large ice bergs and patches of smaller, brashy bits which have coincided with tidal zones but otherwise the waters have been clear. The pilot mentions 0.5 kts of tide against us up the East coast. However as our 24 hour run figures show this is more like 2 kts against us ie COG was 150 nm but reality SOG was 104 nm. That is the penalty but we are moving and it will hopefully pay out in the end. We are motor sailing to keep boat speed up. The engine is ticking over at 1300 rpm and we are only using 4.1 litres per hour of diesel. At the moment (1700 hours) the backward conveyor belt has reversed its direction so we have 1 kt of tide with us and a boat speed of 7 kts. Sweet.

Not a Game of Thrones more like a Game of Wind and Tides! ;-)

PICTURE : And The View Goes On and On ...
Comments
Vessel Name: Yacht Destiny
Vessel Make/Model: Van de Stadt | Samoa 47
Hailing Port: Stornoway, UK
Crew: Andy and Janice Fennymore-White
About: We built Destiny from scratch in a barn over 8 years and have lived aboard her full time since 2013. We are on a journey to explore our limits without time constraints anywhere the wind may take us. We have spent the last 3 years in the Arctic enjoying endless summer days and long Northern lights.
Social:

Sailing adventures with Destiny and crew

Who: Andy and Janice Fennymore-White
Port: Stornoway, UK