Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

Runway in sight

18 June 2010 | Approaching Passe du Dumbea
John and Shauna
We are about 60 nautical miles off Passe du Dumbea, which is one of the two principal passages through the reef into the southern lagoon of Grande Terre, New Caledonia. There are others but they are not equipped with navigation aids or lights so are not for night approach. It's about 0830 local time now and we'll be at Dumbea about 1830 or so tonight. We can already see the crown of cumulus clouds that usually seem to sit atop most significant islands mid-ocean - as if the peaks had caught the clouds unawares and snagged them as they scooted past and trapped them. Yesterday we a lovely day's sailing, close-hauled but in diminishing seas and breezes - making 5.5 to 6 knots in 22 to 25 knot breezes with a single reef in the main to make it easier for the autopilot to cope. Overnight we found ourselves on a converging path with Kukka, who are heading for Dumbea also and will be there about the same time as we arrive - they came within sight of us on the horizon at 7 miles off and were in view all night. Wombat came up on the HF sked this morning - he is in a small inlet in the reef further up the coast effecting some repairs before he can proceed south - we hope to see him in Noumea in a day or two. The most noticeable and welcome feature of the conditions is the air temp - we have a balmy 25C in the cabin this morning, and the trackpants and sweaters are going away under a bunk somewhere for the next few months - thank goodness! The breeze is going to drop right off to less than 5 knots for the remainder of the day, so we'll be supplementing the full main with the judicious use of the cast iron topsail as required. We'll head directly to Noumea from Dumbea Pass - once inside the reef we'll have no swell to deal with and we'll drop anchor in Petite Rade, the smaller of Noumea's two harbours, and wait till we can go in to the visitors' pontoon to do our Quarantine, Customs and Immigration. That will, I'm sure, bring a swift end to a good run (8 to be precise) of Gold Star Days (1GSD = 24 hours with no money spent; it is fairly difficult to spend money on board at sea, although on the odd occasion John has offered Shauna $1 million to do his night watch). We'll let you know how things go with the entrance after we get in. Cheers from us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"