Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

Chilling out

22 June 2010 | Noumea
John and Shauna
After a couple of nights of deep and peaceful sleep, we are starting to feel relatively normal again. Having said that, John woke up in the middle of the night last night - the tide changed and started to ebb so the boat moved around a bit on the dock, and he woke up in state thinking we were at sea and that with both of us in bed and nobody on watch we were in danger.
Wombat had some trouble with his rudder stock, as we mentioned previously, and needed some material to make a permanent repair - additionally Kukka had big problems with his alternators - not charging effectively and hence no amps to run fridge, computer, lights etc for long - and it turns out this was all the result of some pretty dodgy work done on the boat in Sydney whereby an alternator bracket was putting strain on the pulleys and causing belts to burn out. So today, John, Mike and Alex went on a mission to Ducos, the industrial area of Noumea, where they found marine adhesives, bearings, bushes, belts, gaskets, impellers, and seals in industrial quantities and came home poorer but happier.
Destiny seems to have escaped the tide of significant breakages, and our repairs have been limited to routine wear and tear, with no major issues and we feel very fortunate.
A retrospective note: Customs came to Mikes and Lynn's boat on Sunday, having received his declaration form that there were 99 bottles of rum onboard. They were concurrently amazed and sceptical of this, and came to investigate. Turns out Mike did have 99 bottles of rum, widely dispersed over the boat in lockers, hatches and bilge pockets. These were bonded for the duration of the stay. Seems Mike was owed $100 US by some cruiser in the Caribbean and was paid in bottles of Santa Maria Special Quality rum - 110 bottles settled the debt at about 90 cents per 750 ml bottle. Is it rough? You bet!
So tonight we are relishing having internet access and are cooking up a curry of the fantastic blue striped prawns that are so cheap here and of fantastic quality, having had a couple of sundowners on Kukka with Alex and Di.
Keep looking at the pics - click here
Cheers from us!
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"