Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

South West Pentecost - the Garden of Eden

18 July 2010 | Waterfall Bay
John and Shauna
After visiting Ranon village, the following day we went ashore at Ranvetlam village, where we met that village's most respected wood carver, Joseph. He took us around the village and showed us the usual, slightly sad, "Dispensary" or clinic, which is fully operational except that it doesn't have any medicines any more, so the nurse doesn't come, and the villagers have to hike about three villages along the coast to the nearest staffed dispensary that has both a nurse AND medicines. We couldn't see the point in leaving any medicines where there was nobody to dispense them, and so we just sympathised and moved on, although we did give Joseph some anti-inflammatories for his arthritic knee. Back in Ranon, Reuben had arranged a display of local Kastom for us - he first of all explained the intricate grading process behind the wood- carving art. It seems that some men are graded or "accredited" to carve tamtams with only one face or head, others are permitted to do tamtams with two, and some like Reuben may do them with three - apparently occasionally there are men who are graded for four. These grades are partly personal and partly familial - a bit reminiscent of mediaeval European trade Guilds. He then showed us some of the techniques he uses and demonstrated his skills on a work he is currently doing. We then had a fantastic display of "sandroing" - sand drawing - where for ceremonial reasons, or purely for amusement, intricate symbolic drawings are done on the ground in a mixture of sand and ash by skilled boys and men. A painfully shy local boy of 13 who is clearly an artistic genius demonstrated some of his favourites for us. Finally we were shown some local sleight of hand tricks they call Kastom Magic - used by "sorcerers" to impress their audience - amusing but some of the tricks were a bit transparent! We left Ranvetlam the next day and pulled up after only three hours sailing in Wali Bay, on South West Pentecost Island. After the very windy and boisterous conditions in Ranvetlam anchorage, this was heaven on a stick. Calm, quiet and almost windless - we heaved a sigh of relief, anchored and went ashore to meet the locals. We first met JeffLynn - a strong-minded local woman who has no hesitation in telling anyone who will listen what is wrong with anything you care to name. But she is a bit of a firebrand spokesperson for the local people, trying to get a better deal in schools and medical care for the villages from an often insouciant or even corrupt central administration. It was late and we arranged to meet in the morning to walk to the Land Diving tower. Overnight, the island trading ship the "Tina l" came into the bay - in fact passing within 20 metres of us and Wombat at 2:30 in the morning as they entered the anchorage, sounding their foghorn loudly to let the people know they were there. We jumped from bed, turned on our deck lights, and looked up to see the crew looking down on us, amused by our confusion and panic. The villagers had previously assembled their taro, manioc, sweet potatoes and kava roots in big bags to be collected by "Tina" and taken to Port Vila for the market there. They had been told the "Tina" would be there at 9:30 in the evening but the weather was against her and they sat under the coconuts behind the beach singing in lovely harmony until their fire burnt down, and they fell asleep until the ship's horn woke them. The ship has a barge-type bow and drives up to the beach and opens the bow like a drawbridge for loading goods. The people have relatives in Vila who will collect the goods and take them to the market, and eventually they will get some return for all their efforts. More about our adventures in Wali Bay next post - we are tired tonight from walking and climbing! Cheers from us and best wishes to all!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"