Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

The mark of the missionaries

22 July 2010 | Waterfall Bay
John and Shauna
Having left Wali Bay at lunchtime, we had only a couple of hours' sailing to an almost equally sheltered anchorage in Waterfall Bay, just a few miles north up the coast of Pentecost Island. There are three villages along the long, wide arc of this bay. The southernmost, near which we anchored, is Ranmawot, which is situated above the shore on a moderately sloping hillside. Like most of the villages on this stretch of coast, there is strong evidence of past and present involvement by Church of Christ missionaries. Quite a lot of durable buildings can be seen - cement block walls, iron roofs and windows with glass in some. Looking north from the anchorage to the far end of the bay one sees a very impressive group of permanent structures which were built by the missionaries in decades past - Ranwadi Mission School - which is a high school for the area. When we went ashore at Ranmawot we encountered the primary school teacher, Jennifer Albert. She showed us around the village and took us up to the school which, at 4 in the afternoon, was empty. But we came ashore again first thing when the kids had arrived and took in a big box of stuff for the school - including a world atlas which Jennifer received with almost rapturous thanks, some reading books for the kids, some stationery, and a soccer ball which almost had the kids carrying John around on their shoulders in gratitude! Whilst ashore we came across Frank, an Aussie from Brisbane who (accompanied by his wife) is working in the village as a supervisor for small construction projects - a new classroom and a small office for the teacher. He is also an active evangelist in the area. There was a noticeable amount of buzz and activity in this village. There is a little shed which serves as a mechanics' workshop and is contracted to service the "Public Transport" vehicles which are used up and down the coast of Pentecost - these take people from village to village if the distances are too big to walk, and to ferry kids to High Schools where they exist. The "PT" vehicles are Toyota Hilux utes which carry swarms of people along roads which are not much more than strings of potholes and ruts. The workshop was not well equipped, but they had basic spares, a generator and welding equipment, and the young men were working there were proud of their workplace and jobs. The entire west coast of Pentecost has, at least as we sense it, a feeling of positivity and connectedness that has the locals quite outward-looking and optimistic. Waterfall Village was further along the bay, and when next day we went in there we again met a strong, very intelligent woman who took us under her wing - Marcie. She runs a little store with the usual basic canned goods, clothes, batteries and fishing line and hooks. Marcie guided us to the waterfall we had heard of prior to coming in there. It was a 15 minute walk from the village at the foot of a steep escarpment. It is quite a big fall, and of very big volume. We swam in the series of pools at its base in bracingly cool water, and had a great time. Marcie jumped in with us. Marcie hadn't asked for payment for her guiding us, so on returning to the village we gave her some gifts of clothing and sandals. These broadened her already constant bright-eyed grin and she We had noticed from the boat at night that the Mission School must have a good sized generator as the light all stayed on there until 9:00 at night, and Marcie told us that the kids who study there get a very good education and strong supervision, so places there are sought-after. From Waterfall the next move has been to Loltong Bay, and we'll put up some details on all of that tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"