Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

The Job Part 3

15 July 2011 | Kirribilli
John and Shauna
Well this job has definitely turned into a longer, more complex one than anticipated - but then don't they usually! Notwithstanding, we are pretty content with the line and look of the top as it's shaping up. We've had a good run of dry, clear weather which has made the work quite efficient and pleasant for all concerned.
It's just not possible to take a sleek, curved and relatively elegant canvas and stainless cover and replace it with a rigid, GRP house without losing some of the lines we loved, but Kevin has done a great job of shaping the various intersecting and sometimes competing curves into a coherent whole.
We have taken the targa arch and the blank off, and Kevin is crafting final detail and adding a small rain gutter to the outboard edges in the workshop.
Poor old "Destiny" looks like someone has given her a bad haircut with a chainsaw, open cockpit exposing the liferaft and helming station to the world. So uncomfortable are we with this strange appearance that we won't show you a picture of it!
We have decided to fit LED lights inside the roof of the cover - Kurt at Electric Boat Parts was his usual knowledgeable and helpful self, showing us a good range of options. From these we chose some quite compact but bright Hella lights, which have a reasonably good range of illumination, unlike many LEDs which are sometimes very directional. While we were at Kurt's showroom we picked up some very nice-looking Italian cabin fans to fit while we are alongside. Additionally, some new stereo speakers will go at the aft end of the roof to replace the rather ancient-looking ones we have currently on the bulkhead of the cockpit.
John ran cabling to hook up the AIS to the Raymarine C120W and it works very nicely, with a good audible alarm with a flexible Range of Safety setting. We must say, however, that the AIS interface on the Australian Navy "Endeavour" program, which we have until now used to navigate, is definitely a more graphic and intuitive add-on.
Fortunately, the Comar AIS we have has two outputs - one USB for the laptop running "Endeavour", and an NMEA 0183 to inform the C120W. So we have complete redundancy and independence of the two systems - PC and Raymarine. Speaking of "Endeavour" - our licence dongle, which is now a little over 4 years old, broke in two pieces - the tail came away from the USB end: the active portion of the dongle is a small button inside the casing - to get a new plastic casing to put the button in costs $110!!! Thanks a lot, Australian Navy Hydrographic Office.
There are a few more progress photos of our progress in the gallery - click here to view them.
Cheers for now from us!
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"