Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

Checking out Noumea

25 May 2008 | Port Moselle
John
Having slept like never before on the night of our arrival here, we rose early to meet the Quarantine Officer, Melanie, who with great charm, friendliness and tact confiscated just about all our fresh food - meat, fruit, vegetables, even unpopped popcorn. The Quarantine regulations here are extremely stringent as they have no problems with crop and livestock pests, and like Australia, they are keen to preserve this situation.
So we found ourselves liberated onto the streets of Noumea on Sunday. We had a quick trip to the Marche to replace what the authorities had just taken. Prices here are pretty steep - we reckon that the prices for fruit and vegetables are at least 50% higher than in Sydney. The quality however is very good - they won't buy rubbish.
A sad feature of the streets here is the number of Kanak people, especially young men, who are everywhere lying around drunk or stoned or just mooching looking for trouble. In line with this is the fact that no position of significant authority in any office or government department seems to be held by a Kanak.
The harbour is spacious and the Marina is very large - berthing prices are similar to Sydney or Coffs Harbour. There is everything you could want here for the boat - good chandleries, supermarkets and trades - thankfully we have had no issues needing these things! However, the harbour water is filthy - it stinks like a sewer - truly awful, and once we have had a few days exploring Noumea and environs we are going down the lagoon for a week or ten days of exploring the islands and bays.
Today we are putting on the hiking shoes and walking over to Baie des Citrons where the "Nice" people live - i.e. the French public servants, doctors and engineers who come here on 2 to 4 year contracts at triple the salaries they would get at home!
Incidentally, we were lucky to escape with our lives this morning when we went to La Vielle France Boulangerie for bread, and Shauna asked for un baguette instead of UNE baguette - this offended the Gallic sensibilities of the proprietor who sharply rebuked her and muttered something about Anglais under her breath.
The traffic situation here is very similar to Paris - pedestrian crossings are seen as traps to herd walkers into easily identified target areas, easier to mow down in large groups. Traffic control lights are seen as optional advisories only, obeyed by the weak at heart. The preferred option as a pedestrian is to approach a crossing with apparent fearless confidence, pretending to be completely oblivious to the vehicles thundering down the road, and cross calmly and confidently whilst ignoring the pained angry epithets being flung at you from the vehicles. They seem to respect courage. So far.
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"