Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

Australian Customs

27 July 2008 | Bundaberg Port Marina
John and Shauna
At 0300 this morning, 11 days after leaving Port Vila, we dropped the anchor in the Quarantine area adjacent to Port Bundaberg Marina. As per the practice here, we had radioed ahead yesterday afternoon to let the local Volunteer Marine Rescue (VMR) know we were on the way in overnight. There was a strong and quite nasty squall as we came in across Hervey Bay towards the harbour entrance channel, which delayed us further since it's unwise to try a narrow entrance with shallows on each side, without good visibility.
So all in all it was a longer and more "interesting" crossing than we planned. Oh well - if you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans!
We popped and quaffed the bottle of champagne we had kept for the event, and fell into a deep coma rather than sleep at 0345. We were wakened by the Marina office calling us on the radio: "Destiny, Destiny, Destiny: this is Port marina. Customs has requested that you leave the anchor spot you are in there next to the red mark and come to the Quarantine berth for clearance. They say it will only take you five minutes from there and they will be at the berth at the same time" So we did as required - and when Quarantine arrived we asked how they knew exactly where we were. They have surveillance cameras looking at the anchorage from three different positions, which can zoom in quite close. They know who you are, where you are from, which direction your boat is facing and even if you are fishing illegally there. Scary.....
Quarantine were efficient and friendly but didn't have much work to do as we had eaten or tossed most of what they would want to take - fresh dairy, fruits and meat. Customs and Immigration were a friendly pair who filled in the forms and then sat with us for an hour talking yachts and the sea, encouraged by Shauna's espresso machine churning out the cups of aroma-filled stimulant. That will be $240 thank you for the Commonwealth Government - ouch!!!
Tonight, as a reward for the harshness of the crossing, Shauna has decreed that we are going to have a slap-up meal in Bundaberg and are going to stay at Bundy's finest lodgings (?). We'll report back on that one.
We are already missing our new friends and the places we have seen, but have a month of cruising down the coast yet, so more adventures no doubt will emerge. Check the gallery tomorrow for new pics.
Cheers from us!
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"