Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

People

07 June 2009 | Noumea
John and Shauna
It took us a couple of days to get over the "jetlag" of the passage but we are now firing on all cylinders. As yet, the days have been full of maintenance tasks following the trip from Australia, but we seem to have all that covered now, so we'll be off looking at a few museums and the like for a couple of days.
One major catastrophe (for John at least) was the failure of the espresso machine shortly after arrival - this is being repaired as we write and with it back on board, caffeine-fueled harmony will be restored. One night coming across, we hit a big school of flying fish. Those that land close to the cockpit we try to retrieve and throw back in; one landed just near the cockpit seat on the side deck. John tried to grab him, but he was a slippery critter and slid out of John's grip as he struggled. He was carried along the side deck by the water that had come over with him, and dived nose first into the scupper drain - which was big enough to admit him but not big enough to let him out the bottom end - so there he stayed for the next 3 days, until on Friday when the boat was tidied up, John had to get the remains out - a long, tedious and VERY smelly job during whuch Shauna found she had pressing tasks elsewhere.
There are some very nice people here at present. Last night we had Bernie and Di from "First Light III" over for dinner - First Light is an Adams 12 in very good shape and they came over on the same weather system as we did, but clearing from Newcastle. Next to us is "Mer Amour", old Jeanneau owned by Philibert, a young Frenchman who is a student. He bought her in Florida and sailed back here, where he lives, with a friend as crew. The boat was a bit tired when they bought her, and after the delivery run is in pretty poor shape - torn headsail, bimini shredded, autopilot not working properly, solar panels blown away - he has a big job ahead of him to bring her up. Phil's wife Stephanie and little son Naloan have been good company for us on the dock as Phil works on the boat.
"JJ Moon" are next along from them: Barry and Maggs are in the midst of major expenditures getting their Contest 43 up to scratch for the next leg of their circumnavigation.
We'll be off now, and will try to put up a post every day or two while we're here with internet access.
Best to all!
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"