Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

En route to Tanna Island Vanuatu

01 July 2009 | Between Mare and Tanna
John and Shauna
Our last few days in New Caledonia saw us completing some maintenance (particularly on the watermaker) and stocking up on items we won't see again for a while: French charcuterie, some good wine and lots of snacks for John to demolish on night watches. Not to mention filling the tanks with tax-free diesel after checking out with Douanes (Customs) and Police des Frontieres (Immigration) and finally the Harbourmaster. Friendly service, putting up with John's French without smiling and FREE - unlike Australian Customs and Immigration. In company with "Capricorn III" a Melbourne boat, we had a truly enjoyable sail to Anse du Pilote, resting there overnight so as to leave on the slack tide at high water through Havannah Pass - this has a pretty impressive flow in through the fringing reef as the tide waxes and it's not worth pushing against it - too uncomfortable. Once through Havannah we split up - Dick taking Capricorn to Lifou Island, which we had a good look at last year, and us directly on to Vanuatu, as we would like to get to some of the Northern islands there this time around. Another good sail - winds 12 - 15 knots across the beam and swells only 1 metre or so. We skidded past Mare at about 04:00 today - we were about 4 miles off its coast but you could smell the land and the vegetation quite distinctly. Today was another nice beam reach, although around lunchtime the breeze dropped back in strength for an hour or two, so we motor-sailed through the lull. Tonight another reach, and we're doing 6.5 knots which with luck should put us in the anchorage at Tanna after breakfast tomorrow. We have been keeping in touch on the HF radio with Mike and Lyn on "Wombat of Sydney". Mike and Lyn are from South Carolina but he worked in Sydney for many years and is a member at the Squadron with us. It's nice to chat over the airwaves after dark when the boat is looking after herself for the evening. Until we get to Port Vila, whenever that will be, we will: (1) Be unable to spend any money since there will be nowhere to spend it - GOOD and (2) Be unable to put any pics on the blog but we'll make up for that in Vila. Cheers for now from us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"