deva in paradise

Vessel Name: Deva
Vessel Make/Model: Freya 39 sloop/cutter
Hailing Port: Ketchikan, Alaska, USA
Crew: Michael and Debby Spence
About:
It has been 40 years since we started sailing DEVA. We spent 12 years circumnavigating the globe, starting in 2007. We have been sailing about 6 months of each year, then returning to Alaska and visiting our friends and family the rest. [...]
Extra:
The circumnavigation was our second long voyage together. The first one was in 1988-89 when we sailed from Alaska to Hawaii and French Polynesia. The present voyage started in the Bahamas/Caribbean in 2007, then through the Panama Canal and the South Pacific, the Mediterranean, and eventually [...]
01 August 2022 | Jolly Harbor, Antigua
26 October 2021
15 July 2019
31 July 2018
07 March 2018 | Curacao to Panama
30 January 2018
20 November 2017
28 October 2017
11 July 2017
14 May 2017
02 December 2016
08 November 2016
03 March 2016
26 January 2016
Recent Blog Posts
01 August 2022 | Jolly Harbor, Antigua

Sailing through a Pandemic

We started where we left off before the Pandemic. In the boatyard in Rodney Bay, Saint Lucia.

26 October 2021

DEVA's 40th birthday

Today, the DEVA is a humble little cruiser sitting next to mostly larger and more spacious sailboats in places we visit. She does not have the cavernous interior of newer boats, is narrower and has more varnished woodwork, which hints at her vintage design.

24 May 2019

Cyclo Cruising the Canal du Midi

Cyclo-Cruising the Canal Du Midi

10 December 2018

From the Gulf of Lyon to Spain

In Cap D Agde we tied up in another very large French marina, (with over 3000 boats) adjoining an amusement park-like area with a Ferris wheel and a roller coaster. The main attraction for us was that we could tie securely about a half mile inside a labyrinth of canals, far from the swell of the Mediterranean [...]

Bodrum and Ephesus

26 January 2016
Mike and Debby
After making sure DEVA was safely hauled out in the boatyard in Kos, we took the ferry across to Bodrum, Turkey. Yes, Turkey! Ephesus and Bodrum were two places on our list in Turkey that we missed earlier.

Once called Helicarnassus in ancient Roman Empire days, Bodrum today is a bustling little party town where vacationers from Europe and the East come during Summer. In December things settle down to a dull roar, although there is still lots to do and all the shops and sights are open. We booked a room in a little "boutique hotel" with a view of guess what, a CASTLE! The Turkish hosts lived up to what we have come to expect in our visits to this wonderful country. Totally charming and welcoming with big smiles and infectious enthusiasm.

We walked the waterfront from the "quiet" side of town our hotel was in to the castle on the old harbor.
The castle itself is a smaller version of the Knights of St John castle we saw in Rhodes, but every bit as magnificent. Like stepping back to the 16th century of medieval post-Roman times. Like other places we have visited in Turkey, the history of Bodrum goes back farther than that, to pre-Christian days. The ancient historian Herodotus, who lived here, is said to have written much of what we know today about the early Roman empire, and the pre-Roman civilizations that once occupied this Aegean coast.
Bodrum was a port city and it is here that many archaeological finds have been found underwater that tell us what life in the center of the Mediterranean world was like. There was a lot of shipping between Africa, the Middle East, Persia, and Europe, for example. There was even trade with Asia before the Suez canal was built. Wine was shipped all over the Mediterranean basin in large amphora, or clay jugs. Bronze and iron ingots were also found in the holds of ancient ships that lay on the bottom near Bodrum.

From Bodrum we rented a car for a land cruise up to Kusadasi where we based ourselves for another three days to tour ancient Ephesus and Selcuk At Kusadasi we stayed at a little beachfront area called Ladies Beach, so called because at one time many years ago men were not allowed there. Much of it was closed due to the "Winter season", but we found a quaint little restaurant with a wood burning stove in its center. The innkeeper toasted bread on the woodstove for our breakfast. Later in the evening a quartet of musicians played Turkish folk songs for a small gathering of about 10 visitors. As we have always found, Our Turkish hosts remembered us each time we visited and graced us with their warm hospitality and wonderful food.

From Kusadasi we drove our rental car to Ephesus, built on the waterfront nearly 3000 years ago, now some 10 miles inland due to silting. . It was once considered one of the most important cities of the Roman Empire, Nearby Selcuk was the site of the pre-Roman temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

On the way to Ephesus, we detoured into the nearby mountains for a stop at Sirinc, a little village next to wine vineyards and olive groves, where we sampled wines and bought some handcrafts.

Stepping into the marble city of Ephesus, one must pause and take a deep breath. One is walking on the paths of people of three thousand years ago, including some of the the most important people of human history. The story of Artemis, which marks the earliest part of Ephesian culture. is nothing short of remarkable. Before Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity or Islam, people of this part of the world worshipped Warrior Women called Amazons. Yes, its true! Fans of Xena the Warrior Princess take heart. The Temple of Artemis was built 8 centuries BC to honor one of them. Her statue lies in the museum of Ephesus today, kept indoors for safety. There is only an open field with one standing column on the site of the original temple. Many items that were found in archaeological digs are kept in the adjacent museum today.

According to Debby, if you are into boobs, this is the Goddess for you, as she has 18 of them!
(actually some historians say her costume was decorated with preserved bull scrotums, a more masculine symbol of fertility, but this is another story).

Ephesus itself, built much later, and rebuilt several times in the late BC and early AD period, is a jewel of a ancient city, with marble colonnades and many large buildings still standing. One of them, the library of Celsus, was rebuilt by Austrian and other European archaeologists and engineers between 1970 and 1978, using 14,000 laborers at a donated cost of many millions of dollars. The library, built in 135 AD once held over 12,000 books. A testament to the literacy of the Roman empire inhabitants, and to the importance in their culture of education and preservation of history. There are statues to most of the Roman emperors and their many gods and goddesses, all over the landscape and in the nearby museum. This is where one can see Zeus, Aphrodite, Nike, and many others. The Grand Theater of Ephesus (more like a stadium), the centerpiece of Ephesus, is built on three levels and could seat 25,000 people comfortably on marble benches (if one considers marble comfy).

The apostle John is said to have lived in and near Ephesus after fleeing Jerusalem, and this is where he wrote much of his entries to the new testament of the Bible. The Virgin Mary, whom John was the designated by Jesus Christ to be caretaker, also lived here on a secluded hilltop. Much of that period in early AD they were in hiding from the Roman soldiers who persecuted Christians. We drove 8 kilometers up a winding mountain road to the remote site of her former home, now marked by a small stone chapel which has been visited by 5 popes and thousands of visitors every year. The Virgin Mary, mentioned 5 times in the Koran, is worshiped by Muslims and Christians alike. A large basilica dedicated to her was built in Ephesus in the 4th century AD, the ruins of which are there next to the many other structures that preceded it.

Some 100 years following John's 53AD death, a large Basilica dedicated to him was erected on the site of his tomb near Ephesus, the ruins of which can be seen today. Later yet, a castle and a mosque were erected by the Ottomans close by, but neither desecrated the magnificent site of St Johns cathedral, which is today still a respected shrine by the predominantly Muslim Turkish people.

Visiting this ancient place is cause for considerable thought. Artemis and Ephesus were a center of civilization from 1000 BC to about 1400 AD. It saw the evolution of religion go from polytheism and what is now now considered mythology to the present monothiestic Christianity and Islam. It started with the ancient Lydians, then the Greeks, sacked by the Visigoths in 400 AD, , fought over during the Crusades and Medieval times, occupied by the Ottomans until it was abandoned in about 1450AD. The scientific record says it was earthquakes and mosquito-borne malaria that ultimately caused its collapse.

It takes a while to wrap the modern mind around what the world must have been like like in the time of Artemis. Oral communication was the dominant human interaction, yet ideas and trading stock were transmitted over vast distances by people who traveled afar by land and sea. The valued commodities of past millenia: spices, silk, bronze, iron, and gold, all important in their time, ceased to be relevant in later periods. One cannot help but think this history might repeat itself with the 21st century commodities like oil. Natural disasters, earthquakes, disease, and floods, destroyed the cities of then, and we cannot ignore that this history might also repeat itself. When the resources of civilization were spread too thin by warfare and empire building, there was nothing to spare for rebuilding. The relationship of religion and politics is also evidenced throughout this history. Persecution and intolerance brought on by fear-spreading political leaders is a theme that repeats itself in the Hellenistic, the Roman, the Byzantine, and the Medieval world, just as it still does today.. The early Romans were programmed to fear Christianity, The later Roman Christians were taught to fear Islam, and in turn the Muslims to fear the Christians. They each spent incalculable resources and blood fighting many wars.

One must wonder from this if mankind will ever emerge from its barbaric beginnings. If one is to view these events with a positive vein, it is in the symbols of tolerance that emerge from each period: The Muslim mosques and Jewish synagogues that are now built near Christian churches within the same communities in places of Rhodes, Bodrum, and modern Selcuk, for example.
Comments
Deva's Photos - Main
Over two years passed as DEVA was confined to to sailing only short passages in the Caribbean.
81 Photos
Created 1 August 2022
a short history of our boat
13 Photos
Created 26 October 2021
Sailing from Europe to the Caribbean, across the Atlantic
68 Photos
Created 8 January 2020
95 Photos
Created 21 July 2019
98 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
122 Photos
Created 10 December 2018
we launched our bikes from the boat in Port Napoleon
40 Photos
Created 10 November 2018
106 Photos
Created 31 July 2018
On our way back to the USA from Europe, we sailed on the beautiful 4 masted bark Sea Cloud
35 Photos
Created 7 March 2018
65 Photos
Created 30 January 2018
95 Photos
Created 20 November 2017
65 Photos
Created 28 October 2017
51 Photos
Created 11 July 2017
170 Photos
Created 14 May 2017
76 Photos
Created 22 April 2017
73 Photos
Created 2 December 2016
19 Photos
Created 8 November 2016
287 Photos
Created 3 March 2016
115 Photos
Created 17 January 2016
90 Photos
Created 11 December 2015
127 Photos
Created 19 November 2015
60 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
36 Photos
Created 26 October 2015
41 Photos
Created 5 May 2015
30 Photos
Created 19 April 2015
28 Photos
Created 19 April 2015
40 Photos
Created 8 March 2015
21 Photos
Created 15 November 2014
16 Photos
Created 15 November 2014
117 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
119 Photos
Created 12 April 2014
68 Photos
Created 11 April 2014
68 Photos
Created 7 March 2014
28 Photos
Created 7 March 2014
38 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
17 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
42 Photos
Created 16 January 2014
22 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2013
3 Photos
Created 22 December 2013
43 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
55 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
27 Photos
Created 13 November 2013
Sailing up inside the Great Barrier Reef
19 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
69 Photos
Created 7 April 2013
16 Photos
Created 16 March 2013
27 Photos
Created 2 March 2013
24 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
49 Photos
Created 13 February 2013
9 Photos
Created 25 January 2013
74 Photos
Created 23 January 2013
5 Photos
Created 23 January 2013
41 Photos
Created 23 January 2013
we just returned from 6 months in the USA
2 Photos
Created 6 November 2012
some images form our first days in australia
10 Photos
Created 24 May 2012
32 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
January and February 2012 in New Zealand
23 Photos
Created 5 February 2012
more new zealand
14 Photos
Created 7 January 2012
we couldn't fit all the pics into one album!
20 Photos
Created 30 November 2011
2009-11
122 Photos
Created 27 October 2011
Dec 2010 to present
123 Photos
Created 24 October 2011
about Deva
9 Photos
Created 17 October 2009
Our voyage from the Panama canal to the Marquesas, Tuamotus, and Society Islands
64 Photos
Created 4 October 2009

About & Links

Photo Albums
01 August 2022
81 Photos
26 October 2021
13 Photos