deva in paradise

Vessel Name: Deva
Vessel Make/Model: Freya 39 sloop/cutter
Hailing Port: Ketchikan, Alaska, USA
Crew: Michael and Debby Spence
About:
It has been 40 years since we started sailing DEVA. We spent 12 years circumnavigating the globe, starting in 2007. We have been sailing about 6 months of each year, then returning to Alaska and visiting our friends and family the rest. [...]
Extra:
The circumnavigation was our second long voyage together. The first one was in 1988-89 when we sailed from Alaska to Hawaii and French Polynesia. The present voyage started in the Bahamas/Caribbean in 2007, then through the Panama Canal and the South Pacific, the Mediterranean, and eventually [...]
01 August 2022 | Jolly Harbor, Antigua
26 October 2021
15 July 2019
31 July 2018
07 March 2018 | Curacao to Panama
30 January 2018
20 November 2017
28 October 2017
11 July 2017
14 May 2017
02 December 2016
08 November 2016
03 March 2016
26 January 2016
Recent Blog Posts
01 August 2022 | Jolly Harbor, Antigua

Sailing through a Pandemic

We started where we left off before the Pandemic. In the boatyard in Rodney Bay, Saint Lucia.

26 October 2021

DEVA's 40th birthday

Today, the DEVA is a humble little cruiser sitting next to mostly larger and more spacious sailboats in places we visit. She does not have the cavernous interior of newer boats, is narrower and has more varnished woodwork, which hints at her vintage design.

24 May 2019

Cyclo Cruising the Canal du Midi

Cyclo-Cruising the Canal Du Midi

10 December 2018

From the Gulf of Lyon to Spain

In Cap D Agde we tied up in another very large French marina, (with over 3000 boats) adjoining an amusement park-like area with a Ferris wheel and a roller coaster. The main attraction for us was that we could tie securely about a half mile inside a labyrinth of canals, far from the swell of the Mediterranean [...]

Into the Adriatic

28 October 2017
Due to flight schedules out of the United Kingdom we were obliged to stay 2 nights in England. Making the best of it we took the train and did some walking to Notting Hill. Strolling through the gardens along the way and visited Portobello Market which was packed with an array of trinkets and baubles to attract the attention of all who passed by. We sipped coffee in trendy cafe's and had a Guinness or two at Churchill's pub.

In the evening we took the train into London to join a walking tour called, "Jack the Ripper." Our knowledge on the subject was limited so we really didn't know what we were getting ourselves into. We simply thought, "hey we're in London we should do something". Turns out we walked through the dark back streets where Jack the Ripper committed his heinous crimes. We were told the stories of his victims and what they suffered, it was enough to give anyone the heebeegeebees.

Our second night was spent at our favorite tavern "Ye Olde Six Bells", where we had a wonderful quiet meal away from the city and talked about the tour we had the night before. This of course creeped us out all over again.

We returned to Preveza Greece where we left Deva in the boatyard three months ago. It also has some history worth a mention. (but you can skip the next few paragraphs if history is boring for you)

In September of 31BC Aktio was the scene one of the largest sea battles ever, now referred to as the Battle of Actium. Over 500 ships on one side of the straits, together with 12,000 soldiers on the nearby shore, went head to head with another 600-odd ships and a similar number of opposing infantry.
One fleet was led by the heir-apparent of Julius Caesar, Octavius from Rome, the other led by another Roman general and nephew of Caesar, Marcus Antonius. Marcus Antonius was assisted by a fleet from Egypt, sent by its Queen, Cleopatra. It was a colossal battle, in which at least 500 ships were sunk and thousands of lives lost, and a defining moment for the Roman Republic, which thereafter became known as the Roman Empire. In modern times, this event is most remembered as the final chapter of the romance of Anthony and Cleopatra. The losing general, Marc Anthony, fled to Egypt and committed suicide by dagger to avoid capture by pursuing Romans. He is said to have died in the arms of his beloved Cleopatra, who herself committed suicide shortly thereafter by the bite of a snake.

Little remains of the ancient cities that once lay on both sides of the strait, one called Aktio or Actium, and the other on the North side now called Preveza, but was known as "Nicopolis" during the Byzantine and Roman Empires, because both of these cities were laid flat by invasions of Goths in the period that marked the end of the Roman Empire around 1400 AD.

From the time of the battle of Aktio until 1020 AD, The Roman Empire occupied all of the lands surrounding the Mediterranean, know then as "Mare Nostrum" or "Our Sea" all the way North to England, and South including the shores of present day Africa and the Middle East.

Some things have not changed since Byzantine and Roman times. The fishing boats are hauled out and launched using "sledges", which are like sleds made of large timbers that slide into and out of the sea carrying boats on top of them. They slide on ramps made of stone, made slippery by polishing, and are hauled up with simple block and tackle (ropes and pulleys) , sometimes mechanized in modern times with electric winches. Upon launching they are simply let go to slide back into the sea with a big splash.

Our boatyard was more modern with a radio-controlled truck-like machine, and finally with another radio-controlled "travel lift" that lifts our boat with slings and lowers her into the water. The boatyard, called "Cleopatra" after the Egyptian Queen, had more than 1000 boats in it, by far larger than any boatyards I have seen in the USA. DEVA looks a bit out of place because she is older than most of the boats. We heard several compliments from bystanders and workers, praising her classic curves from the 1960's.

By far most of the boats in this part of the world are sailboats, and most of them are modern French and German built charter or rental boats. Thousands of these rental boats sail around the Mediterranean, rented for a week or two by people from mostly other European countries and a few from as far away as America and Australia. It is a tourism industry that did not exist until the late 1970's but has become huge in recent years. We were fortunate to have missed July and August in the Med, as it is the busiest time of the year when all of the harbors are full of charter boats.

One of the spin-offs of the large charter boat industry is the requirement for boaters to have a "drivers license" for boats. This requirement does not exist in the USA except for commercial or passenger-carrying boats. One of our first stops in Greece this time was a return to the Bay of Vliho where Mike would take a all-day long assessment for a boat drivers license, or certificate of competence. To do this we picked up sailor-instructor Ashlee and spent a day sailing around off Lefkas Island doing man overboard and various boat handling drills. About two hours was spent on a written test. At the end of the day we were told Mike had passed the evaluation and we could expect a certificate in the mail from London in about 3 weeks.

From Lefkas we began making our way to Corfu, our final destination in Greece. First port was the Island of Paxos where we stayed 3 days while waiting for strong winds to blow through. We walked the 5 mile round trip into town every day and enjoyed the beautiful blue water along the coast line and the tiny shops along the harbors edge.

It was an easy sail from Paxos to the island of Corfu where we stared wide-eyed at the castle and the old town upon our arrival. We rented a car and spent one day touring the Old Venetian Fort and walking through the narrow shop-lined streets of the old city. We stocked up on all our favorite things (Havana Club rum mainly) and completed the requirements for checking out of the country. From Corfu we went to a small island about 28 miles away where we rested for the night. This helped to make our crossing into Italy as short as possible. We are traveling North which is going straight into the prevailing winds. This often makes for some long uncomfortable days on board with spray over the bow which keeps us confined to the cockpit area.

We made landfall in Otranto, Italy where we cleared into the country with the officials, rested, did a quick look around and then continued North while the winds were light. Keep in mind this means a 40 mile sailing day lasts 8 hours if one is lucky and the winds and currents are favorable. Our goal is to go as quickly as possible, hopping along the Italian coast. Stopping only to sleep in the protected harbors of Brindisi, Monopoli, Bisceglie and Vieste.. We then cross over into Croatia where we can slow things down and begin heading South along Croatia's coast which should go much easier with the winds coming from a more favorable direction.

Debby who is always full of energy, has trouble with the long sailing days. She will do almost anything to entertain herself. Sailing from Brindisi to Monopoli we had a strange day where flies kept showing up on board. For a while just swatting the flies and throwing them over board was enough to keep her busy, but after several hours the novelty wore off and she decided to start something new. Mike was below deck making coffee and when he returned to the cockpit he found Debby had lined up all the flies she had killed in a neat little row. She proudly said, "some people have animal head trophy collections, well, I have a fly trophy collection." Mike thought it was gross at first, then he too joined in suggesting we stick them with toothpicks and mount them on the railings to warn future flies from landing lest they too end in a similar fate. (like heads on pike poles on a castle wall in medieval times).

The Storm

At Vieste we hoped to sail across the Adriatic at one of its narrowest points to Croatia, about 60 miles away. To do this in a daylight passage would require favorable winds to buck against the anticipated adverse current. Instead, we arrived just in time to prepare for the worst storm of the year, coming from the North. It was our first look at what the Adriatic can be known for, the Bora wind. We had one day to get securely tied up in Vieste harbor, with ten mooring lines out (usually we need only four). True to the predictions, over three days and nights the wind was steady 35 knots with gusts to 50knots. The sea outside the breakwater was horizon to horizon white froth. The harbor entrance had continuous surf going across for two days. We tried to take pictures of the seas, but there was so much spray in the air the camera lens was instantly blurred. Fortunately we were able to get off the boat to go to the nearby town for some shopping. Most of the shops and businesses were boarded up to protect against flying sand from nearby beaches. We had to wear headgear and glasses for protection. After three days the streets of Vieste were strewn with sand drifts. We went on deck each night to check our lines against chafing in the constant surge. Our little floating home was tossed and jerked around while tied up which made us feel like we were at sea. Debby spent most of one day ashore in the ladies bathroom reading as the motion on the boat was making her feel ill. On the third day when things started to calm down we found two of our headlines had chafed through and parted, and the entire boat was caked with salt and sand up to 20 feet above waterline. It took another day after the storm passed to clean up the boat, hose it down and repair lines. Then we set sail for Croatia..
Comments
Deva's Photos - Main
Over two years passed as DEVA was confined to to sailing only short passages in the Caribbean.
81 Photos
Created 1 August 2022
a short history of our boat
13 Photos
Created 26 October 2021
Sailing from Europe to the Caribbean, across the Atlantic
68 Photos
Created 8 January 2020
95 Photos
Created 21 July 2019
98 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
122 Photos
Created 10 December 2018
we launched our bikes from the boat in Port Napoleon
40 Photos
Created 10 November 2018
106 Photos
Created 31 July 2018
On our way back to the USA from Europe, we sailed on the beautiful 4 masted bark Sea Cloud
35 Photos
Created 7 March 2018
65 Photos
Created 30 January 2018
95 Photos
Created 20 November 2017
65 Photos
Created 28 October 2017
51 Photos
Created 11 July 2017
170 Photos
Created 14 May 2017
76 Photos
Created 22 April 2017
73 Photos
Created 2 December 2016
19 Photos
Created 8 November 2016
287 Photos
Created 3 March 2016
115 Photos
Created 17 January 2016
90 Photos
Created 11 December 2015
127 Photos
Created 19 November 2015
60 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
36 Photos
Created 26 October 2015
41 Photos
Created 5 May 2015
30 Photos
Created 19 April 2015
28 Photos
Created 19 April 2015
40 Photos
Created 8 March 2015
21 Photos
Created 15 November 2014
16 Photos
Created 15 November 2014
117 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
119 Photos
Created 12 April 2014
68 Photos
Created 11 April 2014
68 Photos
Created 7 March 2014
28 Photos
Created 7 March 2014
38 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
17 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
42 Photos
Created 16 January 2014
22 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2013
3 Photos
Created 22 December 2013
43 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
55 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
27 Photos
Created 13 November 2013
Sailing up inside the Great Barrier Reef
19 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
69 Photos
Created 7 April 2013
16 Photos
Created 16 March 2013
27 Photos
Created 2 March 2013
24 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
49 Photos
Created 13 February 2013
9 Photos
Created 25 January 2013
74 Photos
Created 23 January 2013
5 Photos
Created 23 January 2013
41 Photos
Created 23 January 2013
we just returned from 6 months in the USA
2 Photos
Created 6 November 2012
some images form our first days in australia
10 Photos
Created 24 May 2012
32 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
January and February 2012 in New Zealand
23 Photos
Created 5 February 2012
more new zealand
14 Photos
Created 7 January 2012
we couldn't fit all the pics into one album!
20 Photos
Created 30 November 2011
2009-11
122 Photos
Created 27 October 2011
Dec 2010 to present
123 Photos
Created 24 October 2011
about Deva
9 Photos
Created 17 October 2009
Our voyage from the Panama canal to the Marquesas, Tuamotus, and Society Islands
64 Photos
Created 4 October 2009

About & Links

Photo Albums
01 August 2022
81 Photos
26 October 2021
13 Photos