Didi Mau

Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Hampton Virginia
Crew: Eta and Gordon Johnson
About: Eta and I are recently retired and are going down the ICW for the first time. We have sailed our 43-foot boat to the Caribbean and back, but this is our first inland waterway trip.
09 November 2014 | Saint Augustine, FL
08 November 2014 | Saint Augustine, FL
28 October 2014 | Georgetown, SC
26 October 2014 | Myrtle Beach
24 October 2014 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
23 October 2014 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
22 October 2014 | Camp Lejeune
19 October 2014 | Oriental NC
Recent Blog Posts
09 November 2014 | Saint Augustine, FL

Day Three Held Captive

Day Three Held Captive in Saint Augustine

08 November 2014 | Saint Augustine, FL

update after week-long abscence

A lot has happened since the last post and I’ll try to bring everyone up to date. As I type this note we are in Fernandina Beach, Florida, sitting just sound of the Georgia Border.

28 October 2014 | Georgetown, SC

The Tension Mounts

The Tension Mounts

26 October 2014 | Myrtle Beach

Never a dull Moment

Never a Dull Moment

24 October 2014 | Wrightsville Beach, NC

Wrightsville Beach- Paradise found - Again

Today marked a day of rest after a quiet night on the hook. One of our best nights. After spending two nights in Beaufort and having to reset the anchor at 1 a.m. each night, this was a welcome rest in a beautiful setting.

23 October 2014 | Wrightsville Beach, NC

Terror on the ICW

Terror on the ICW

The Tension Mounts

28 October 2014 | Georgetown, SC
Gordon
The Tension Mounts
28 October
We have made it through the easiest part of the ICW, by all accounts. The waterway in South Carolina is not as well maintained by the Army Corp of Engineers as it is in other states, according to those who have gone before. Over the next couple of days we will be able to travel only at mid to high tide, ensuring that we are able to traverse the shallow areas.
What this means is that we are in Georgetown, SC, about 55 miles north of Charleston, but will spend the next two days slowly meandering our way hoping to stay off the bottom. By most accounts this should not be a big problem, but we must be careful.
Yesterday we left Myrtle Beach after spending a quiet night at a boat ramp. The city had luckily built a new boat ramp that has two new 80-foot floating docks, with enough depth to accommodate Didi Mau. We tied up alongside for free and were no further than about a third of mile from shopping facilities.
We got an early start, around 7:30 a.m. and within an hour found our first ICW casualty – a 49-foot hunter – Brio – who had wandered off the centerline and was grounded in 5.5 feet of water. Because our draft is closer to 6 feet than 5.5, we left brio to await a rising tide, which freed her about 30 minutes later. A moment’s inattention can have disaster effects.
Shortly after leaving Brio we encountered fog, giving us visibility of only 50 to 75 yards. Lucky we had radar and a chart plotter. The radar would tell of any commercial traffic and the chart plotter would keep us in the middle of the channel.
Comments

About & Links