Didi Mau

Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Hampton Virginia
Crew: Eta and Gordon Johnson
About: Eta and I are recently retired and are going down the ICW for the first time. We have sailed our 43-foot boat to the Caribbean and back, but this is our first inland waterway trip.
09 November 2014 | Saint Augustine, FL
08 November 2014 | Saint Augustine, FL
28 October 2014 | Georgetown, SC
26 October 2014 | Myrtle Beach
24 October 2014 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
23 October 2014 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
22 October 2014 | Camp Lejeune
19 October 2014 | Oriental NC
Recent Blog Posts
09 November 2014 | Saint Augustine, FL

Day Three Held Captive

Day Three Held Captive in Saint Augustine

08 November 2014 | Saint Augustine, FL

update after week-long abscence

A lot has happened since the last post and I’ll try to bring everyone up to date. As I type this note we are in Fernandina Beach, Florida, sitting just sound of the Georgia Border.

28 October 2014 | Georgetown, SC

The Tension Mounts

The Tension Mounts

26 October 2014 | Myrtle Beach

Never a dull Moment

Never a Dull Moment

24 October 2014 | Wrightsville Beach, NC

Wrightsville Beach- Paradise found - Again

Today marked a day of rest after a quiet night on the hook. One of our best nights. After spending two nights in Beaufort and having to reset the anchor at 1 a.m. each night, this was a welcome rest in a beautiful setting.

23 October 2014 | Wrightsville Beach, NC

Terror on the ICW

Terror on the ICW

Day Three Held Captive

09 November 2014 | Saint Augustine, FL
Gordon
Day Three Held Captive in Saint Augustine

The hard part about sailing, or cruising rather, is to distinguish what one does from loafing. Here we are in Saint Augustine Florida on our third day. We had originally signed up for four nights on a mooring ball but we are thinking about staying longer. Is it laziness, lack of inertia or merely prudence? Hmmmm
Saint Augustine, settled by the Spanish in the late 16th Century is America's oldest city. Walking down the streets one could be fooled, if only for a minute in to thinking he had arrived in Europe. Europe with really heavy people. A Europe that is more like Disney World than, well, Europe.
As background, we motored down the ICW from Fernandina Beach, buddy-boating with our friends from Hampton and Southall Landing, Larry and Sandy Stewart. We made excellent time by catching the tide and were able to average close to nine knots for much of the way. While landlubbers might not think this much to talk about, we blow-boaters where pretty pleased at our progress that day. We arrived here at the municipal marina at about 2:30 on 7 October.
The ICW between Fernandina and Saint Augustina is like a slow moving river, but has many long straight canals. Bordering the canals we saw homes as humble, as well, perhaps $400K and many I am sure topped out in the 10s of millions of dollars. One side of the ICW was thick with houses, all with boat lifts in the back yard, and the other side, primordial swamp. I looked for gators but so far, have seen none.
The only wild-life that has been constant has been dolphins. Even in water you might not think suitable for fish, much less mammals, dolphins have seemed to thrive. In fact we have seen so many, that it is akin to seeing deer along the road back home. In the Chesapeake we are always thrilled to see our closest relative of the seas, but here, it is, well, rather more mundane.
Back to Saint Augustine.
The main downtown is nothing but shops and restaurants and bars and cafes and more shops and souvenir shops and pizza pubs and, well you get the idea. And the people flock to the shopping and eating and drinking. One used-book shop owner, on a less prosperous street told us that she had been offered the same square footage on the main shopping street, St. George Street, for $3500 / month. Her shop is perhaps 10 feet across and 20 feet deep.
And the people throng the street. Anything would seemingly sell. One store, City Cat Country Cat, around the corner and in the back, and then up a flight of stairs, sells nothing but cat memorabilia. (Yes, we had to visit. No we didn't buy anything.) Grumpy Cat is front and center and is the subject of about 30 percent of all the merchandize. We walked into this small shop and were among 6 other shoppers, or lookers, because I saw nothing sold in this 100-square-foot shop.
Mixed in and among the shops is some real history. The signs are well kept and mark special dates, occurrences and buildings. The city's founders, which built the port city for commerce would be proud, because commerce has truly become the basis of this city's modus operandi. We were constantly amazed at the specialty shops and that they could even make a living, so narrow was their product offering. But yet, tens of thousands of potential buyers shuffle through the street daily. With such numbers, sellers of anything would likely find a ready market.
So here we are on day three. We have eaten more restaurant meals here in the past three days than we have a whole year back home. We have become yet another boatfull of tourists leaving our doubloons in the till. We have taken the tours, toured the fortress and are thinking of staying a few more days. Is it lethargy or interest?
I'll get back to you when I figure that one out.
Comments

About & Links