Diesel Duck

26 July 2013 | On board Diesel Duck
26 July 2013 | Leamington, Canada
25 April 2013 | Florida
26 March 2013 | Florida
27 February 2013 | Stuart, Florida
10 February 2013 | Beautiful Florida
24 January 2013 | Key West, Florida
26 December 2012 | Miami Beach
07 December 2012 | Miami Beach
27 November 2012 | Stuart, Florida
15 November 2012 | Wrightville Beach, NC
05 November 2012 | Chesapeake City, MD
01 November 2012 | New York, NY
30 October 2012 | Half Moon Bay Marina
29 October 2012 | Croton-on-Hudson, NY
23 October 2012 | The New York State Canal System
14 August 2012 | Leamington, Canada
20 June 2012 | Leamington, Ontario
20 June 2012 | Leamington, Ontario
13 May 2012 | In the Erie Canal System

Adios Brazil

27 July 2009 | Fortaleza, Brazil
Marlene
On July 19th, just before sundown, we left Jacare for an overnighter to Natal. At sunrise Diesel Duck looked for the entrance to the river in Natal and once we were moving upriver, we discovered that the anchorage was extremely deep with a very strong current running. We managed to pick up a mooring from a small yacht club and settled down to have a good breakfast before going on shore. Actually, the surroundings didn't look too inviting and it would have been better to move further on to find another anchoring spot closer to town. But we gave up on that idea altogether and at 10 a.m. sailed on to Fortaleza, our last Brazilian port. The following evening at 23:00 hrs, on July 21st, we eased Diesel Duck carefully in the dark into the harbor to anchor in the protection of the huge seawall by the windmills. Next morning the Coast Guard chased us away to the only marina in town, the Marina Park Hotel. A fancy place with swimming pools and all amenities of a 5 star hotel, but the floating steel dock for the visiting boats was not worth the money they charged. It had buckled in several places and hooking up the electricity to Diesel Duck was a challenging task. The ground wire was missing and you were in danger of being electricuted while hooking up your shore power cable. The distribution boxes were wide open exposed to rain or boat washing, no cover plates and live wires were sticking out. DD is an aluminum boat, the docks were out of steel and the shore power hook-up was an electricians nightmare. This all gave my captain the creeps, when thinking about stray currents. We filled up our tanks here before leaving with water from the tap at the dock only to discover a few days later, while underway, that the water came from a rain water cisterne. It would only be good for watering the lawn, but not for drinking. Days later, at Ile Diablo, French Guyana, we had to totally empty out all of our tanks and wipe them clean before making new water and refilling them.
In all we stayed 6 days, stocked up on some items, cleared out with the officials and got a zarpe for French Guyana. On July 27th we left for Devil Island.
The above pics of native boats cought our interest as they were sailing into and around Fortaleza.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diesel Duck
Vessel Make/Model: Diesel Duck 41' - Aluminum
Hailing Port: Toronto, Canada
Crew: Marlene and Benno Klopfer (Photo by Marcie Lynn, Puerto Montt, Chile)
About:
The kid, Dominik, is grown, married to Maryann and they have three kids Heidi + Annaliese + Hans, on their own. We are on the loose. Sold the condo and retired. Benno from an engineering profession and Marlene from a business administrator job. [...]
Extra:
SSCA Members Diesel Duck is designed by George Buehler and is a long range, sail assisted Troller Yacht. Main engine: Perkins M80T, 4 cyl. 78 hp Generator: 5 KW - 115/230Volt - 3 cyl. - Northern Lights diesel Fuel: 3000 liter diesel Water: 800 liter Additional equipments: 3 burner gas [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/dieselduck
Social:

Cruising on a Troller Yacht

Who: Marlene and Benno Klopfer (Photo by Marcie Lynn, Puerto Montt, Chile)
Port: Toronto, Canada