The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Trebeurden to L'Aber-Wrac'h Log

To catch the tide to L'Aber-Wrac'h we had to get up in the dark (5 am french time!). We left Trebeurden behind us with good visibility and very little wind until an hour later when fog arrived.

We would like to say that we did actually see some of the coastline from Trebeurden to L'Aber-Wrac'h but unfortunately fog remained with us as we passed Roscoff and around Isle de Batz. We guessed visibility was about half a mile but when we caught sight of 'Aman ar Ross' north cardinal mark we were able to confirm that in fact visibility was 0.14 of a mile (225m).

As the fog started to lift, our first sight of land was the Ile Vierge lighthouse just outside the entrance to L'Aber-Wrac'h (this lighthouse is reported to be the tallest in Europe at 250ft high) and having spend the whole day in fog, I must say, it was a nice sight to see.

I recall the last time we were in fog, it was so thick you couldn't see the end of the boat. Bruce had me blowing on a fog horn repeatedly for what seemed to be hours whilst he kept a watchful eye on radar and GPS. My lips were numb afterwards and my hair flattened by the dampness of the fog! Thankfully it wasn't as bad this time.

We arrived in the Marina early afternoon as the sun came out.

Total distance this season: 194.28 nautical miles


Comments