The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

L'Aber-Wrac'h (Finistere)

After writing off yet another full day to rain, we eventually got out and had a walk around L'Aber-Wrac'h.

The small village and working port of L'Aber-Wrac'h has several restaurants, cafes and a chandlery. On the quayside, the sailing school offers Kayaking, Windsurfing, Hobie Cats, Optimists, Darts and Lasers. Great for 'people watching' as you listen to the excitement of the children as they drag the boats etc down the ramp and into the sea. The nearest shops are 2km away in a village called Landeda, a pleasant walk inland.

The river is fascinating when the tide is out as it becomes a working mussel farm. Mussel beds are contained in long wooden racks, which seem to reside all along the river edges. Shellfish workers arrive in tractors and trailers and move the mesh container positions either higher or lower on the racks. It looks to be a slow process in order to get the mussels large enough to eventually end up on our plates!

You can feel the excitement and anticipation along the visitors pontoon as many of the boats (including us) wait for the right weather and tide conditions before making South through the 'Chenal du Four'.

One Finnish guy who we met had just returned from several months in the Canaries and is now returning home. However, he stated that he had another month to wait until he could get home as 'home' is surrounded in thick ice so he can't get the boat back! The amount of additional accessories he had on his boat has to be admired, especially the positioning of his bicycles.

loads of kit!

We haven't seen or spoken to any English since arriving in France, until this afternoon when 'Stress Breaker' arrived, a Moody 42 owned by Nick and Rona. Like us they are Cruising Association members (flying the CA flag at the crosstrees) inviting conversation. We were invited on board for a chat and drinks which lasted until late evening. Finding out that they too are about to go down the Chanal du Four, both men compared notes on the weather conditions, tide conditions and exactly what time to leave (no doubt early again)! Whilst the females discussed how expensive it is to use the washing machines and dryers and alternative options to try to reduce the cost! It was a really enjoyable afternoon/evening listening and laughing about their sailing antics and stories.

So, now we are waiting for the right weather conditions to allow us to go down the 'Chenal du Four' and into Camaret. As it currently stands this could be tomorrow.

Photos can be found in the photo gallery 'L'Aber-Wrac'h'.


Comments