The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

sleepless in Loctudy

Having enjoyed such a beautiful and calm day yesterday you would have expected a calm evening. However, we had literally just got into bed when out of nowhere the wind got up promptly.

Within minutes we were bouncing up and down short and steep waves, rocking and rolling and very uncomfortable. The wind was so strong that at certain points during the night we got too close for comfort to another boat moored next to us. We waited until dawn to relocate. This was no mean feat with the wind so strong and waves so steep.

Within the hour we had moved to another buoy and were less likely to strike into another yacht so we could now rest and try to catch up on lost sleep despite still bouncing around. For the early part of the morning, you could hear thunder in the distance along with the occasional flash of lightening. The wind continued for most of the day.

It was certainly one of those nights where you question the reason for owning a boat when you could be sound asleep in a house on dry land! So much for the pilot book suggesting that the weather improves in Southern Brittany!!


Comments