The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Ile de Groix to Lorient Log

Despite the lack of sleep, we noticed that the harbour was getting busy (it was the weekend and excellent weather forecast).

Having read the pilot book, Port Tudy gets so busy with yachts rafted, you can literally walk from one side of the harbour to the other. That was our 'Cue' to leave and find somewhere quieter for the night. We also didn't want to arrive at Belle Ille (our next port) during a weekend as the pilot book suggests that this too gets extremely busy.

We decided therefore to pop over to Lorient, 5 miles away and venture up the river. Within an hour we passed the Citadelle, old submarine bays and Ile Saint Michel. We continued up river - our chosen stop was just after the first bridge up the 'Le Blavet river'. We were looking to anchor, but spotted and took a vacant buoy off 'Club Nautique de Kervignaq'. Not wanting to be rude, we launched the dinghy and checked at the clubhouse to see if it was ok to use the buoy overnight. As it happened the owner of the buoy was there talking to one of the club members and was quite happy for us to use his buoy overnight for free. We offered a donation, but he refused. We chatted for a while and established that the owner had recently sold his yacht and was looking to buy a Merry Fisher! (Merry Fisher's are everywhere over here !!!!)

Earlier we noticed on the chart dozens of shipwrecks just upsteam of us. The tide was out so we walked along the riverside path, around the corner to a point where the shipwrecks could be seen. Definitely a ship graveyard, the majority being old wooden hulls with a few modern steel ones - all rotting away.

That night we slept very well indeed.

Total distance this season: 353.21 nautical miles


Comments