The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

La Roche Bernard to Foleux Log

A peaceful night's sleep followed with a sunny morning with a little fog haze that lifted within minutes. Our first priority was a visit to the local bakery for a couple of fresh baguettes. The bakery was really busy - we were almost queuing out of the door. The aroma coming from within the shop really got the taste buds going. You just can't beat that fresh bread aroma first thing in the morning - lovely.

We left the Marina mid-morning, passed under the suspension bridge (the old bridge was accidentally destroyed when lightning struck a German ammunition base) and under a second road bridge.



The countryside opened up around us where we sighted cows grazing in the distance and fields with hay rolls drying out. At the river's edge we passed trees, bushes and the occasional willow overhanging along with several small fishing vessels with crane like contraptions with large nets attached.



As we neared Foleux Marina we noticed a small estuary just to the left. Bruce recalled that HT Freya Frey had visited this estuary so knowing that a previous HT had gone before we decided to also venture down for a quick look. We passed HT Tarla as we made our way along the line of moored yachts, keeping an eye on depth. We continued up and seeing a mooring that was free decided to tie up for lunch - fresh baguette, cheddar cheese (courtesy of Alison and Steve) accompanied with mom's homemade Mediterranean chutney - delicious.

Deciding that we wanted to stay here for a few days, we jumped into the dinghy and rowed ashore to the marina office. Having explained that we were moored up the estuary, the marina staff didn't know how long the owner was away for so tried to contact him but without success. Instead, they suggested an alternative mooring a little further upstream which was available. They also gave us a couple of tokens allowing us a free 'crepe au sucre' or 'kir breton au cidre' at the local restaurant 'L'Escale along with a map showing several circular walks.

Having paid we then had a brief walk around the marina before returning back to Drummer to relocate accordingly, passing yet another Heavenly Twins named 'Val d'Agon'.

The afternoon followed with Bruce washing down Drummer's hulls with a bucket of water (her hulls were filthy following the gale that churned up very frothy and greasy water back in La Roche Bernard) whilst I enjoyed our new scenery, sitting in the sunshine watching the electric blue dragonflies and pond skaters. I even spotted an otter and kingfisher - wonderful.

Total distance this season: 477.05 nautical miles


Comments