The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Ile d'Oleron to La Rochelle Log

Having kept a watchful eye on the weather forecast over the last few days, today was the best day to move on before another low made its way over the Atlantic.

We left the marina just as the sun appeared over the horizon which helped us to see the port and starboard markers as we left the entrance.

The sea was calm and it wasn't long before we were out of the lee of the island where we encountered yet again a moderate swell which remained with us until the water depth increased.

Within the hour the sea calmed, the sun came out and it was warm considering the early hour. However as we approached La Rochelle, the sun suddenly went in, the air temperature dropped and we were subjected to a damp mist, almost foggy conditions that thankfully didn't last long otherwise we would have had to put our wet weather gear on. Several commercial ships had anchored nearby and looked quite eerie in the fog.



Upon arriving at Les Minimes marina with no one to welcome us (not surprising given that it's now officially 'out of season') we motored to the visitor's pontoon to take whatever berth was available. We weren't surprised to find that many of the fingers had not been put back into their correct positions following the "Grand Pavois" and that yachts were still rafted, however we did manage to find a berth directly off one of the pontoons out of the way of the disruption.



Total distance this season: 667.93 nautical miles


Comments