The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

the Alcazaba fortress, Almeria

Whilst sat on the bus and within minutes of leaving Almerimar the land became very dry, just scrubland and dried up riverbeds. Apparently old western films were once shot here because of this but since the 1980's some 10,000 acres of coastal plain have developed into the largest concentration of polytunnels in the world. More than half of Europe’s demand for fresh fruits and vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers) are grown under the polytunnels all year.

The bus route took us through 'Costa del Polythene' (sea of plastic) with heaps of discarded plastic sheeting and rubbish waste littered along the roadside. It wasn't a pleasant part of the countryside and working conditions are poor to say the least. Apparently 100,000 workers, mainly immigrants from Africa and Eastern Europe are paid between €33-36 per day to work in temperatures that can reach more than 45 degrees C.

We passed the busy holiday resorts of Roquetas de Mar, Aguadulce and through tunnels cut into sides of mountains to arrive at the town of Almeria overlooked by the Alcazaba fortress, which is reported to be the second largest Arab fortress in Andalucia behind the Alhambra in Granada.

Restoration has been carefully considered and you can clearly see a great number of the walls, turrets, arrow slits, dwellings, cisterns plus demanding view of the city and bay. To make it more interesting for visitors they have added beautiful landscaped gardens and multi-lingual historical notices. The outer walls really portray the size of the fortification. Entrance is free to foreign visitors but note it is closed on a Monday!

[ photos to follow ]
inner courtyard, gardens

Our return back to the bus station took us past the Cathedral and down towards the harbour for a well deserved beer and tapas.


Comments