The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Ibiza, Port Roig

A lovely anchorage as we find ourselves surrounded by sloping reddish cliffs, several fishermen's huts lining the shore and high upon the cliffs, several lovely looking properties. A perfect location to swim, snorkel and explore the depths below.

Snorkelling to find our anchor was a novel experience given the crystal clear water here. The last time we remember doing this was when we chartered a yacht with our very good friends Karen and Trevor in the Windward Islands of the Caribbean. We were confident that the anchor had dug in (Bruce had given the boat a bit of welly in reverse and the bow had clearly dipped) and just wanted to see it for ourselves. Imagine our surprise when we saw it lying on its side with only the tip dug into weed!

During the afternoon we had a relaxing row around the cala. The water was so clear we could clearly see the anchors of other yachts. Of the 10 yachts here surprisingly none of the anchors were dug in, they were all just lying on the relatively level rocky seabed. Whilst the pilot suggests sand, weed and rock we would suggest that its predominantly rock and weed with just a couple of patches of sand. The only exception being in the corner leading to the beach which is sand but relatively shallow.

Whilst we had made the decision not to move and reset the anchor (no wind was predicted overnight) we did set the anchor alarm just in case the situation changed.


Comments