The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Mallorca, Sant Elm to Port Andraitx (again) Log

houses on the hills just outside the entrance to Port Andraitx

Another sleepless night - we don't believe it! Throughout the day conditions were relatively calm and we didn't notice any appreciable swell but as soon as the wind dropped we were left with a swelly sea which Flirtie lay beam onto, rolling constantly from side to side. If this wasn't bad enough the buoy kept banging on the side of the hull too, unbelievable!

We really didn't fancy another night being kept awake either through rolling or through anchoring antics so we decided to head back to Port Andraitx for the night given that we haven't experienced any problems there so far.

Within an hour we were tied up to one of the Club de Vela buoys with a whole afternoon ahead of us. We didn't want to go ashore so instead decided to repair the dinghy leak whilst it hung in the davits.

The experience of rolling around has got us thinking about solutions and following a Google search there appears to be a simple solution to overcome the problem that doesn't involve selling the boat and buying a camping car! 'The Frugal-Mariner' appears to have the answers and we'll be giving it a go if room allows. We've never really experienced this rolling before but now that we're in the Med we continually seem to have the problem. We can only assume that because our sailing ground has always been in tidal waters the boat has always faced head to wind or tide. Here in the Med with little or no wind at night we just lie broadside and roll uncomfortably in any form of swell - even the catamarans are suffering!

As for this buoyed anchorage, we would revisit but only for the day and certainly not overnight!

Total distance this is season: 707.23 miles


Comments