The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Mallorca, Santa Ponsa to Colonia de Sant Jordi (anchorage) Log

With our reservation for Cabrera drawing near we decided to head east towards the small village of Sant Jordi, 35 miles along the coast. Sant Jordi was recommended to us by Lisbon friends, David and Marcia off 'Rêveur '. It's also ideally positioned for a short crossing over to Isla Cabrera, only 12 miles to the south.

The wind was on the nose for the whole duration. As we crossed Palma Bay it increased, whipping up some choppy seas at times. The bay was pretty busy with various ferries and cargo ships coming and going. One cargo ship was transporting several large yachts and motor boats.

The harbour at Sant Jordi is quite shallow but an anchorage lies outside just north of Isla Gavina. We dropped our anchor in 4m over sand and weed. It's recommended to use a trip line as areas of the bottom are foul. We totally forgot this until we checked our anchor only to find that the seabed includes rock, some hidden under sand and weed and as it would happen our anchor had found a chunk of rock to hook onto!


look closely, the dark shadow is our anchor, not dug in!

There's very little wind predicted over the next few days so we're not too concerned but again we'll be sleeping with our anchor alarm on. At least we can attach a trip line in situ given that the water is so clear and the anchor is at 4m.

Total distance this season: 746.03 miles


Comments