The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Sardinia, Cagliari to Villasimius Log

With a clean hull, props, shafts and last minute engine checks complete we, "the Flirties" have finally left the marina. :-)

Having spent all winter here we've got to know quite a few of the locals and frequent visitors alike so our departure wasn't a quick one as we bid farewell to everyone. An hour later we finally left the murky waters of the harbour behind.

Once clear of the breakwater, it wasn't long before the sails were unfurled and we began to sit back and enjoy our first gentle sail of the season. Regrettably it was shorted lived and we ended up motoring at least half of the journey.

With Villasimius only 20 nautical miles south east of Cagliari it didn't take long before we arrived at the anchorage offering excellent views with crystal clear water and a very sandy seabed. There were two other yachts at anchor, a French yacht and our friends off catamaran 'Splice' (who were just testing out their water maker before relocating into the marina). We dropped our anchor between them both, in 6m and started to settle in for the evening. Within an hour the wind was blowing straight into the anchorage putting us on a 'lee shore' (blowing us towards the land). Initially we weren't concerned as we have become accustomed to the short bursts of wind that sometimes occur just before the sun sets however this wasn't abating but instead it was increasing, sending short waves into the anchorage and making us feel uncomfortable. The wind wasn't predicted on this mornings forecast so we downloaded the latest which confirmed a change and that it was now going to blow straight into the anchorage until the very early hours of the morning.

Neither of us really wanted to go into a marina so soon after leaving Cagliari but we also didn't fancy a sleepless night at anchor so shortly before 6.30pm we relocated into the marina - we slept well. By nightfall the French yacht had also moved on - a good decision made by all as the wind continued through until the early hours and into the following day. :-)

Total distance this season: 20.98 nautical miles


Comments