The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Villasimius & Capo Carbonara marine reserve

Villasimius is a small holiday resort set in stunning surroundings of the Capo Carbonara marine reserve. The marina is modern, organised with a travel lift, a bar, restaurant, small chandlers, ATM and pharmacy but at €45 a night we felt it slightly expensive especially given the time of year... we wonder what the charge is in high season!


watchtower in the distance

A walk to the watchtower was the plan. We headed off on a dirt track across the road from the marina that initially took us past a lagoon before it opened up to a wide bay with turqoise blue sea and white sand with a couple of cafe/bars located right at the water's edge where we stopped briefly for refreshments.


view from the cafe/bar

Resuming our walk from the beach, we must have taken a wrong turn as we found ourselves walking through a narrow path that was far more suitable for wild boar than adults. With every foot the coarse bushes closed in on us, resulting in us bending and crouching for a while before finally opening out to expose the 'actual path' that took us up to the Torre di Porto Giunco.

From the vantage point, 'the captain' took a few minutes to observe the islands in the distance that we'd be sailing through tomorrow, barely half mile wide but navigable.


looking out to the islands and rocky outcrops

Our return journey took us down to Cava Usai where we found an abandoned granite quarry. Granite from this site was used to construct some of the buildings in Cagliari. Thousands of boulders varying in size covered the beach. In the past visitors have piled the granite boulders on top of one another to make a kind of 'moonscape' however there were only two 'sculptures' standing so we added a third.... we wonder how many will be there by the end of 2017.


our sculpture, located in GPS position 39.10.68'N 09.51.92'E ;-)


End of 2016 moonscape sculptures, courtesy of Sue and Andy off 'Psittakos'


Comments