The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Sardinia, Liscia delle Saline to Olbia town quay Log

Another swell free night :-). We were more than happy to stay another night but by mid morning we had 20 knots of wind blowing straight into the anchorage. It didn't take long for the waves to form (complete with white crests) making things uncomfortable. The shallow depth of the bay probably accounted for the short, steep waves. We decided that we'd go into Olbia first to refuel before making a decision on where to go next.

We motored along the long narrow channel lined with mussel beds until we came across the fuel quay. A super-yacht was refuelling and it was likely to be there for some time so we continued on towards the old commercial quay to take a look. There are no facilities but yachts are allowed to moor here. Unfortunately our pilot books, the Cruising Association and various online forums report high instances of theft so naturally this was niggling away in the back of our minds, swaying our decision on whether or not to stay.

There were a few smart looking yachts of all nationalities already berthed against the quay but a space was available with a bollard and a few rusty hoops to tie to. We considered whether it would be safer to anchor but with numerous pilot boats lined up nearby it was highly likely that we'd be asked to move. With the town being so close and looking inviting we decided to moor to the quay.

Our large round fenders were required in order to keep Flirtie off the wall as there was a ledge sticking out just below the water line. Mooring up would have been a challenge because we were being blown off but the owners of the yachts in front and behind kindly took our warps which made life very easy.

Total distance this season: 157.24 nautical miles


Comments