The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Sardinia, Olbia to Cala di Volpe (anchorage) Log

First priority of the day after coffee was the all important stop at the fuel berth at Marina di Olbia as the one at the end of the old commercial quay was closed and derelict. We're amazed that we've travelled 160 miles since leaving Cagliari and the majority of these miles have been done under engine despite the forecasts.

At the fuel berth, the attendant passed us the hose and warned us to press the trigger gently otherwise it would deliver 80 litres in under a minute... that's something that our breather vents just wouldn't cope with and we didn't fancy a shower with diesel so slow was key, so slow that the pump timed out requiring the attendant to reset it. The fuel price was €1.52 a litre (May 2017) however we needed 150 litres so a reasonably sized bill for us.

We left the harbour with 'wind on the nose' and were looking forward to the prospect of actually sailing around the corner to our next anchorage. Several other yachts were out sailing too... it's suddenly become a busy cruising ground. We'd just unfurled the mainsail and about to prepare the genoa when the wind dropped, just like that, leaving us with the remains of swell which rolled us around for a while. It was entertaining to watch everyone else within range roll in their sails and start motoring... welcome to our club!

This part of the coastline is known as Costa Smeralda, home to some discreet and very expensive real estate, high fashion shops and expensive cafes. It's also the place where the super rich come to play. With plenty of bays to anchor in we decided on Cala di Volpe. The area is laid with moorings for super-sized vessels up to 300ft but still ample room for smaller yachts to anchor and share the same scenery for free! :-)

Total distance this season: 175.01 nautical miles


Comments