The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Cala di Volpe

the beach from the anchorage

We have been more than content just sat at anchor whilst enjoying the scenery around us. Just like the Balearics, throughout the day the anchorage gets busy but by late afternoon the majority of motor boats and yachts disappear, leaving us to bob around quietly.

Watching the antics of the many super-yachts has been entertaining as they unload various 'boys' toys' from the equivalent of a 'garage'. There is certainly an obscene amount of money you can invest in luxury cruising and by way of example "Mia Elise ii" who is anchored nearby is available to charter for a mere $460,000 a week plus expenses! The Costa Smeralda is all about luxury.

Properties are protected by rigorous building regulations so there are no multi storey hotels in sight, just white sandy beaches and holiday homes that merge in tastefully with the hills and countryside.

At the head of the cala lies the Cala di Volpe hotel, looking more like a Moorish fortress than a hotel. It's the height of luxury with exquisite rooms and fine dining. It has a private beach, pools and golf course plus a landing stage that juts out into translucent turquoise and emerald green sea. In high season we understand that you can pay over €2000 a night for an executive suite!



Comments