The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Corsica, IIes Levezzi to Bonifacio Log

Several cruisers recommended that we should plan to arrive by mid-morning latest in order to beat the mayhem in Bonifacio because it is constantly busy with tripper boats, RIB's and motor boats coming and going. An early start wasn't an issue given that we'd moored on one of the tripper boat buoys in Iles Levezzi.

With so little wind we motored the short distance (7.6 miles) towards Bonifacio taking in the white eroding cliffs all along this stretch.


white cliffs of Dover, you have competition!

Approaching from the sea made for an impressive sight as the entrance is narrow, deep, fjord-like with high, almost vertical sides of white rock crowned by a medieval walled town and citadel. Once inside the inlet it's wide enough to accommodate a large marina and many super yachts. There's also a 'clanque', an inlet off to one side where yachts can tie up to hoops in the rock and take a pickup line.

As we headed towards the marina a man on a dory guided us to a berth but unfortunately that was as far as the helpfulness went. We were on our own to moor up med-style which is something that we haven't yet done as we've always had one or two marina assistants there to help. With a solid concrete wall looming and wind from behind forcing us on, tensions were running high. We were poised ready when out of nowhere a helpful cruiser appeared, willing to lend a hand which made our job very easy - thank you dear stranger. You do meet lots of nice people in this cruising world.

Berthing is charged by the square meter and includes water, electric and rubbish disposal. For us the charge was €49 a night which gives us prime position and immediate access to the waterside shops and restaurants.

Total distance this season: 230.67 nautical miles


Comments