The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Corsica, Bonifacio to Porto Pollo (mooring field) Log

view of the mooring field

We've decided to head up the west coast of Corsica as it's reported to be the most scenic however this is against the prevailing winds so early morning starts may be necessary if we don't want to 'beat' into the wind and have a wet and uncomfortable ride! We'll also be keeping an eye on the forecast for the 'Mistral' should it blow out of the gulf of lion as there are very few places to take shelter.

We decided on an early start to avoid spending another night in Bonifacio as strong winds were predicted in the Straits the next day. Unfortunately this meant motoring all the way as there was no wind but the swell was up somewhere between 2-3 m making our journey the rolliest in the Mediterranean by far. Flirtie rode up and down each swelly wave before rolling from left to right.. right to left, up and down. Clearly, somewhere out in the med the wind was already blowing and we were receiving the swell created from it - not the most pleasant of journeys.

Anchoring is prohibited outside Porto Pollo however approx 100 white mooring buoys' have been laid, all differing in size. No one came out to meet us so we picked up one of the larger buoys.

Total distance this season: 263.4 miles


Comments