The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Corsica, Sagone to Girolata (mooring field) Log

Without doubt Corsica is far greener than Sardinia. In the last couple of days we've really noticed how hot and humid it is and how every afternoon clouds loiter in the sky. On a separate note, we've also noticed that our TIM data SIM still works!

Today is another hot and humid day with no hint of wind so we're motoring covered by the shade of our bimini which we're really appreciating.

The landscape is just getting better and better the further north we travel. It's spectacular and so varied. In places the mountains are the coast as they plunge straight down into the sea. There are considerable depths right up to the coast, interspersed with many bays, coves and anchorages so we're able to hug the coastline and really enjoy the rock formations.


huge orange mountains

Seaplanes are used to fight fires in the mountains inland. The relatively flat water of the Golfe's along this stretch are used to scoop up water before it is dumped over the fire. Yachts in the immediate area are advised to vacate immediately when this takes place.


this one was just flying by

The small fishing village and harbour of Girolata is hidden behind a low headland where a Genoese fort stands proud. It's a very sheltered location and only accessible by boat or foot so it is naturally popular and frequented by many yachts, tripper boats, motor boat, ribs and walkers.

We were met by a female on a small rib. A very pleasant lady who welcomed us to Girolata before asking us for our length and depth. Following a brief VHF call to her colleague she gave us explicit instructions to "follow her exactly". We can see why as it gets shallow and there are literally dozens of buoys laid fore and aft and yachts moored. It is a busy place but very well organised so it wasn't long before we were tied bow and stern in the mooring field.

Total distance this season: 319.5 nautical miles


Comments