The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

too hot to handle!

This past week has been unbearably hot and extremely humid no thanks to a heat wave, dubbed 'Lucifer' by the Italians.

Outside temperatures have hovered between 38-44 degrees. We have found it unbearable, more of an endurance test as we've struggled to keep cool despite the afternoon breezes and splashing water over ourselves! We've managed to sneak in (along with others) the occasional dip here and there in the confines of the marina despite it being forbidden. Some cruisers have taken to using the hosepipe as a shower whilst others have kept cool by splashing around in their children's paddling pool... whilst the kids weren't looking.

Below decks, the temperature has rarely fallen below 32 degrees - with all 12v and electric fans on! Sleeping has been virtually impossible with our bed sheets sticking to our bodies. We tried other alternatives like sleeping in the forward cabin and the cabin floor to no avail. We've even tried to sleep under the stars having created ourselves a mosquito-free 'boudoir' only to find that the dampness outside just made matters worse. Thankfully, we seem to be over the worst otherwise our families back in the UK would have had an impromptu knock on the door. So far we seem to be coping well with high temperatures but with high humidity as well it's just something else!


Comments