The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Italians on holiday

Although very busy with day boats by late evening we're the only one left at anchor. We've really enjoyed our time swimming, relaxing and watching the locals to see how they spend their time on the water.

We already know that they speed around full throttle but they are also a very friendly and social bunch. Many end up rafting alongside one another which saves space but presents a problem when rafted six abreast as the raft behaves as a fixed pontoon, especially if they have all deployed anchors. Rafts of two or three still appear to follow the wind and more times than we care to mention the end result involves a lot of gesturing as they work together untangling the spaghetti of rope and anchors as they depart. We had a close encounter at one point and ended up reducing our scope of chain to the bare minimum in order to avoid joining in the fun. It did result in some entertaining conversation and once again highlights to us how lucky we are to have English as a universal language. We feel totally embarrassed that we can't seem to be able to string a basic sentence together that's understood by our foreign friends.

Porto Miseno is a popular harbour, the wash was bothersome at times but it was lovely to see whole families come out for the day including the family pet(s). Cakes are shared between the rafts, bouts of laughter drift across the air, along with music which created a lovely holiday atmosphere. There's even an ice cream boat that pootles around selling cornettos... just one cornetto, give it to me, delicious ice cream from Italy. With this service we had no need to step ashore.


Comments