The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Malta, Manoel Island to Il-Hofra-z-Zghira

An unpronounceable name for sure

Some would say that this anchorage offers nothing and this is the case if it's bars, restaurants, shops and nightlife that you're after. For us, this anchorage offers peacefulness, seclusion and even isolation with only the sounds of birds nesting in the cliffs around us... total bliss for a few days!

Over the next few weeks we plan to 'follow the wind' around Malta, Gozo and Comino. This is a new concept for us as we usually have an agenda and a destination in mind so we are intrigued to see how we'll feel and get on when we have to revisit places to seek shelter. For the time being we would suggest you ignore the 'map tracking' on sailblogs as it will certainly look a bit 'scribbly' and confusing at times.

We left Manoel Island with a prevailing NW wind so 'followed the wind' and headed 9 miles south east along Malta and taken shelter in Il-Hofra-z-Zghira, the southernmost of two horseshoe bays that are separated by a naturally created split with a huge whole in it - providing a windows view into the next bay, Il-Hofra-L-Kibra. For our first anchorage it's a beauty and we will return!


a window with a view

Notes for Cruisers:
Protected from the wind and swell from the SW to NE but open to the SE. Anchored in 8m sand - good holding.

Total distance this season: 65 nautical miles


Comments