Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 60 - Annapolis, MD

30 May 2012 | Mooring ball in Spa Creek, Annapolis, MD
Wed 30 May 2012
Mooring ball in Spa Creek, Annapolis, MD

[photo: narrow bascule bridge at Spa Creek]

We did, indeed, get hit by the storms close to 2200 last night. The boat rocked a bit in the wind gusts, but there was no wave action due to or protected anchorage. I am glad that when we anchored, we did not get too close to shore because the depths rise rapidly. We dropped anchor in 13 feet of water and when we drifted back with the S wind, we were in 18 feet. After the storm, we had swung 180 degrees and were now in just 7 feet of water. Here's a quiz for you. Did our anchor scope change?

There was quite a bit of rain, both during and after the storm, in brief spells. I quickly closed the forward hatch, but locked it in the slightly open position by mistake, so we still had some water come in to dampen the mattress a wee bit. Fortunately, the storm brought slightly cooler temperatures. It wasn't hot outside, but a humid boat with two people and a cat gets stuffy quickly when the hatches are closed.

It was a dreary overcast day when we weighed anchor and headed for Annapolis. We had many major course changes as we negotiated the "maze" back to the bay itself, but we could still use the sail for about a quarter of the trip. As we headed NNW up the bay (right into the wind, by the way), I spied several large ships close to our course. When we got close enough, the AIS showed that they were not moving (probably at anchor), but steaming abeam them only a half mile away, they were still intimidating.

With a telephone call to the city marina, which manages the mooring field, we determined that there is a weekly rate for the balls just W of the Spa Creek Bridge, so that is where we are. The bridge is a bascule (draw) bridge with a horizontal clearance of maybe 30 feet, which is not much. There are perhaps 20 mooring balls here and we are the only boat. Supposedly, it is much quieter here and still close to the action, so we are happy.

Following our arrival many logistical events occurred as well as some finalization of plans. We got a call (two days late) from the mechanic at Worton Creek and after a nice discussion, we will be going there after here for 2-3 days to have them help with the more critical parts of the camshaft replacement. So, here is the schedule: Thu - in Annapolis with Bill and Linda; Fri - rent a car and travel to NJ to visit Duane's family; Sun - drive to PA to visit Diane's family; Tue - continue on to visit a few friends; Thu - travel back to Annapolis to reprovision the boat; Fri - return the rental car.

We got our logistical chores behind us and cleaned up to visit with Bill and Linda. The dinghy dock we used is 100 yards from the boat, and they picked us up to drive to their absolutely lovely country-style home a few miles away. Linda prepared a delicious and healthy meal and the pre-, during, and post-supper chat was great. We started fading shortly after 2000, and they drove us back to the dinghy.

Clyde got some nice topside time while we enjoyed a nightcap. There were many sailboats and others just coming in from their time on the water, and we are glad to be here "in the shadows" W of the bridge and the major action.
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL