Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 45 - Heywood Island, ON (North Channel)

12 July 2016
Day 45 - Tue 12 Jul 2016
Anchored - Heywood Island, ON (North Channel)

[photo: our fish n'chips lunch at the famous Herbert's Fisheries]

The wind never picked up last night as forecast, which was fine with us. We were secure, but the wind direction was the one that funneled straight into our little cove. Having it stay light was nice. I did start to hear the wind increase a bit about 0430 and got up just to keep an eye on things in the not-quite pre-dawn light.

The plan was to run the 3nm back to Killarney for a liquor stop, explore the tiny town, and then lunch at Herbert's Fisheries. After a few boat chores and hoisting the dinghy, we weighed anchor and made the 30 minute run. Herbert's is not conducive to big boats getting on the inside of their docks, but we had no trouble because it was not crowded. A group of maybe 30 or more late teens were getting set up with canoes and all their gear at the ramp right there. I have no idea how far they plan to go.

We bought our libations, doing our part through extremely high taxes to fund the Canadian health care system. So, to our Canadian friends, we really mean it when we tip our glasses and say, "to your health." With Herbert's still 30 minutes from their 1100 opening, we strolled the waterfront section of the town from almost one end to the other and back. By the time we got to Herbert's at 1103, there were 5 groups ahead of us to place orders.

We also wanted to buy some fresh fish to take back to the boat, but they had only 3 packages left until the next boat came back a few hours from then. We did buy a package of smoked trout and we hope it is scrumptious. When my name was called and I brought back the tray, it looked mighty good. Digging in, we found the fries to be fresh cut and cooked nicely. The fish, however, was for the most part, cut into small strips like a large French fry, breaded, and fried - I guess it was a fish stick.

To be candid, and apologies to all those who think this world famous fish is the best, we thought it was just good, but nothing special. Maybe we are just used to the Irish pub near in our home town that serves large pieces of Icelandic cod, which is moist inside the batter. At least we can say we were there!

Before long we were back out in the channel and heading for a Heywood Island anchorage. Once we got out behind the protection of the peninsula, the strong S winds had kicked up some good waves and it was uncomfortable on the beam for a while. Diane had just brought me an iced tea on the flybridge but the cup doesn't fit the holders securely and it spilled half its contents with a big wave. I went to high speed to make the ride more comfortable and get through that section faster. Once behind the next several islands, it was quite nice again.

As we approached the entrance to the anchorage, I noticed at least 3 or more sailboats heading in that general direction. I hope we weren't going to grab some local's favorite spot, but they all carried on to the next spot, anyway. This place has more room than I thought (a local later told me they have seen 38 boats in here - we had 9). We anchored in 7 feet of sand close to shore and have just enough breeze to be comfortable, but not creating any waves like farther out. This was actually the first time that the water clarity and the direction of the sun was such that we could watch the anchor set while we were 30 feet from it.

The deck and flybridge needed a quick washing after the tea spill, and the continual accumulation of anchoring mud and the incessant bodies of dead bugs. With that done, it was time to relax at 1400. We enjoyed showers off the stern, a brief nap, and lots of reading. For supper we had the last of the chili and seafood alfredo.

After that, with Diane electing not to go, I took the dinghy for a spin to check out the other anchorage, connected by a fairly deep and wide, unmarked channel. Typical of me, I spent over a half hour chatting with a few locals about our trips and they share lots of good info about places they like to go and where we are likely to find boats jam packed.

I assume the rest of the evening will be quiet, unless we get a thunderstorm roll through. I have my doubts as of 1900 when posting this.
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL