Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 74 - Frankfort, MI

10 August 2016
Day 74 - Wed 10 Aug 2016
Anchored – Frankfort, MI

[photo: quite a bit of sand in this part of Michigan]

The swell coming in off the lake kept us rolling somewhat (but not too badly) all night. It was fine sleeping athwartship (cross-wise) as we do in the berths because the rolling makes your head and feet go up and down slightly. Trying to sleep fore and aft (in line with the boat) means your body is fighting to keep from rolling left and right, which is definitely not comfortable.

I couldn’t tell from the various weather reports if we would be better off leaving early or waiting, but we decided to check it out and weighed anchor at 0715 under somewhat gloomy skies. There is a front coming tomorrow which promises to bring much needed rain to the region, so we can’t complain. Our concern over an uncomfortable ride was moot; it was not great, but certainly much better than we expected. Along the way we passed massive dunes and bluffs, but the hazy sun was behind them, so photos would be a waste.

A little over 3 hours later, we entered the massive breakwater protecting the harbor, passed the rather large Coast Guard facility, and joined a throng of fishing boats actually going at no-wake speed. I guess having serious enforcement makes a difference. It was up in the air whether the anchorage area would be an option or we would have to try to get into the marina. Fortunately, there was room for us and it should prove to be more comfortable than last night.

We relaxed a bit, took a shower, and then had some chili for lunch. It was not a cool day to make chili a good choice, but it was time to start eating out of the freezer again. Eager to keep moving, we got the dinghy ready and headed to the Municipal Marina to tie up for a few hours. We walked W for at least 5 blocks on Main Street, with Diane checking out a number of shops for a few lightweight tops she likes to wear. We then checked out the gorgeous sandy beach, and walked back on the other side of Main Street. It was a nice little downtown with lots of variety and nothing very touristy or upscale.

I surprised Diane greatly by suggesting that we return to Diva Di and get our beach stuff together, and then use the dinghy to get there directly, rather than walk all the way back in the very hot sun. She was game, of course, so off we went. It was a good strategy in that the slow dinghy ride on the water kept us cool enough, and once at the beach, I could loll in the water to stay cool. It was slightly chilly at first, but felt wonderful after a few minutes.

This is one of the first beaches up here that we experienced nice, clean sand both above and below the surf line. The water was not crystal clear like we have come to expect, but still pretty good. Diane had a great time on the sand in her folding chair and we agreed it had been a very enjoyable day. Once our supply of cold beverages was gone a little over an hour later, we headed back, took more showers off the stern, and then tried to stay cool on the boat.

With a nice breeze blowing through the boat, I took the opportunity to get the steak, onions, peppers, and mushroom sandwich stuff 90 percent ready. It was good I did because when supper time came, the breeze had died to nothing and it got hot in the boat. We chose to eat on the stern deck bench in the shade.

Afterwards, I wet down my clothes with the stern shower on cold and sat up on the flybridge reading, but the sun had dipped low enough that I was eventually being steam-broiled. It was 1900 when I turned on the generator and the A/C. We needed to recharge the batteries anyway, and at a little over $1 per hour of running for fuel, it was well worth it for a few hours. We are on the edge of a mooring field for small, shallow-draft boats, and there is no one anywhere near us for our quiet generator to bother.

Tomorrow morning, we will head S another three hours to Manistee to a marina. We will pick up the repaired chartplotter and Diane’s prescription refill but plan to stay two nights due to the impending thunderstorms. We are also not in any hurry to get to Chicago before the end of the month.
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL