Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 20

01 April 2008 | Bimini
Day 20: Mon 31 Mar 08

The wind blew pretty hard all night, but we were protected by a 100 foot long motor yacht tied to the fuel dock upwind of us. There are still some noises that I hear in the night when the seas kick up a bit. I never heard them before, but I am starting to think it is the sound of waves smacking the hull from the side in a way they would not do at anchor.

Today might be the first day we settled into the "cruising life." It is proving to be, in the words of my friend Dennis, a very cerebral experience: I have a list of things I should be doing and I did a lot of thinking that maybe I'll start something one of these days . It was almost 1000 before I moseyed up to take a shower and shave. Then I brought the laptop PC back up to check email and post this blog. We decided to go to the pool and read, so a quick early lunch of leftovers was in order. Before we had gotten lunch fully together, John and Marilyn asked if we wanted to take the tram up to Bimini Bay and have lunch.

The tram ride covered the same road we had hiked the day before, except we took the tram an extra mile to the resort. It was interesting witnessing the exchanges between the very outgoing and friendly tram driver and all the locals on the way up. The tram's speed seemed to top out near 20 miles per hour, so there was a very unhurried pace to it all.

Bimini Bay turns out to be an incredible expanse of expensive boat slips, homes, townhouses, fancy restaurants and pool, with the wonderful beach, of course. The Bahamas has a long history of large, expensive projects being started and then being left to ruin in short order. I don't know why, and I hope this project truly benefits Bimini and its residents.

The prices were what you might expect from a resort of this caliber, but we ordered conservatively and enjoyed the view just the same. They shuttle people around in oversized golf carts as everything is quite spread out. Here more than anywhere on the island, all the employees went out of their way to be very friendly and helpful.

By the time we got back, a short nap was in order. Diane wound up going for a golf cart ride with the ten year old boy on the boat across the pier from us. It was a harrowing experience until she insisted that she do the driving. At least she remembered to drive on the left side of the road.

We skipped dinner due to the filling and somewhat late lunch. John and Marilyn invited us over at 1830 for a rum tasting and game night. We brought some games and they shared their purchase of the day: several flavors of rum (clear coconut, dark coconut, and pineapple), plus canned pineapple juice. There is a reason the fruity drinks have their reputation; you can have lots of alcohol and not realize it due to the sweetness of the fruit.

No one had too much, but it became a silly evening of story telling and trying half-heartedly to play the game. Their Halberg-Rassy 34 sloop is a gorgeous boat. Our main saloon and galley might have twice the volume of theirs, but their boat has lots more dedicated stowage space, which is as it should be for a cruising boat.

Another night of blissful sleep followed, dreaming of the time we can move forward with our cruise plans.

** posted to blog 1 Apr 1200 **
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL