Doing the Loop in GH 3

A retired couple from the midwest set off sailing the Loop in June 2016. They travel about 2400 miles on a 1999 Hunter 260 sailboat, "GH3". Beginning Jan. 2017, they continue the journey on their newly purchased 2008 Catalina 320 MK II sailboat.

Vessel Name: Bucket List
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 320 MK II
Hailing Port: St. Louis, Missouri
Crew:
About:
22 November 2017 | MacKinaw City Marina
13 July 2017 | Port Severn, Ontario
11 July 2017 | Hyde Park, New York
30 June 2017 | Waterford, New York
28 June 2017 | Oswago, New York
01 June 2017 | Statue of Liberty, New York Harbor
14 May 2017 | Waterside Marina - Norfork, VA
23 April 2017 | Morehead City, North Carolina ... Mile Marker 203.6
07 April 2017 | Beaufort, South Carolina
27 March 2017 | Jekyll Island, Georgia
18 March 2017 | Anchorage on ICW adjacent to Cape Canaveral
13 March 2017 | Ft. Pierce City Marina
04 March 2017 | Old Bahama Bay
16 February 2017 | Lighthouse Point, Florida
13 February 2017 | 30 Miles East of Marathon
19 January 2017 | Cape Coral, Florida
17 January 2017 | Dunedin Municipal Marina, Dunedin, Florida
31 December 2016 | Dunedin Municipal Marina, Dunedin, Florida
06 December 2016 | Carrabelle, Florida
29 November 2016 | St. Andrews Marina, Panama City, Florida
Recent Blog Posts
22 November 2017 | MacKinaw City Marina

Wrap Up

We successfully transited all 208 miles of the Trent Severn Waterway. Once through the Big Chute Railway - we were quickly in Lake Huron / Georgian Bay.

13 July 2017 | Port Severn, Ontario

Tales from the Trent Severn Waterway

"Roses are Red, Violets are Blue. We finished the Trent Severn Waterway; only 356 miles yet to Do!!!" T. Grass

11 July 2017 | Hyde Park, New York

CIA

30 June 2017 | Waterford, New York

Kids in the Cockpit

"Grandparent doesn't mean that you have gray hair and stay home cooking cakes for your grandchildren." Carine Roitfeld

28 June 2017 | Oswago, New York

NY State Canals

"Fifteen Miles on the Erie Canal" from Erie Canal Song

01 June 2017 | Statue of Liberty, New York Harbor

Our Slice of the BIG APPLE

"I say goodbye to all my sorrows And by tomorrow I'll be on my way. I guess the Lord must be in New York City." Lyrics to The Lord must live in New York City, Harry Nilsson

South Carolina

07 April 2017 | Beaufort, South Carolina
"Here, Fridays (and every day) were dedicated to the two B's - Beach and Boats." Laura Mller, Butterfly Weeds, South Carolina
7
If the following images and stories do not make you want to buy a boat and travel The Loop, better check your pulse.

We travelled 261 statute miles of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (AICWW) in South Carolina over 19 days in April of 2017. We stayed at marinas in Beaufort, Charleston, North Myrtle Beach, and Southport. We anchored at 8 breathtakinly beautiful anchorages.


Retrieving Anchor at Sunrise


Many nights we anchored just off the Waterway. We research and carefully select our anchorages. We always prefer to pick one with "good holding". If strong winds are in the forecast, we select an anchorage with good protection in the direction of the forecast wind. Our sources include local knowledge, other Loopers, Skipper Bob, and Active Captain.

Most often we plan to leave our anchorage at first light unless the tide is unfavorable. The above picture of Tom retrieving the anchor is typical of the visual treat we see at sunrise. The picture below is typical of the million dollar view we see at sunset. In this case, we anchored with friends on Endeavor at Sandy Bay.

Golden Sunset at Sandy Bay



Serene Motoring in Prince Creek


Prince Creek



Enjoying Prince Creek


We left our anchorage at Prince Creek staying in the center of the 160 foot wide creek which had numerous stumps and deciduous trees on either shore. We never did see any of the alligators reported in Active Captain to be in this area, but we did not to go swimming there.

We were headed to Barefoot Marina in North Myrtle Beach to visit our friends, Susie and Rod on Bee Havin, who have finished the Loop and are therefore "Gold Loopers". About 2 miles from the confluence of Prince Creek with the AICWW, AIS on our chartplotter showed another sailboat named "Blue Heaven" heading north on the waterway. Tom called them on the VHF radio to make sure that they knew we were approaching. They could see our boat "ghosting through the trees up a side creek toward the AICWW."

The two sailboats converged safely travelling north. Blue Heaven looked so beautiful that Tracy snapped some pictures, then called Blue Heaven on the radio to offer to text a photo of their boat to them. They offered to do the same and invited us to contact them when we get to their home port, Anapolis. It is so common on The Loop that a couple of radio contacts and photos can create a friendship!

As the radio contact continued, Blue Heaven told us that they were headed to Barefoot Marina to visit gold Loopers. They were pretty amazed and so were we to find out that they were going to the same marina to visit the same friends.

Blue Heaven from Prince Creek


The ship in the video below is Independence. It is a cruise ship the travels the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway.

Cruise Ship on the ICW


How many times have we dodged crab pot floats which look like a hand grenade? They are a real hazard to boaters. At Raccoon Island, we anchored within 50 feet of a crabpot float. While there, fishermen came by in a small boat. We got to see them retrieve the crab pot and collect 6 or 7 live crabs.

This is where Crab Pots come from


On this part of the trip we noticed three large shrimp boats like the one below wash up on the shore and abandoned.

Didn't Make It


The "Rock Pile", officially known as "The Little Pine Island Cut", is a well known navigational hazard just north of North Myrtle Beach, SC. In the 1930s, the Corp of Engineers used dynamite to clear a canal in the middle of a granite ledge. The canal is 2.4 miles long and only about 60 feet wide. There is insufficient space for a towed barge and pleasure craft to pass each other safely. Jagged granite lurks invisible at all but low tide ready to gouge and damage boats.

We planned our day to traverse the Rock Pile at low tide so that the gnarly granite would be visible and would define our narrow area of safe travel.

We followed Blue Heaven and Cool Hand 2 followed us to the "Rock Pile". As we approached, Tom got on the VHF radio and called a "Securitee-Securitee" to make sure that no boats, especially no large tow boats were headed toward us through the "Rock Pile."

The trio of sailboats made it safely though the Rock Pile. All would agree that the sign below which is posted at the beginning of the Rock Pile is an understatement, to say the least.

Warning Rocks


Rockpile at Low Tide


Sunday Morning on the ICW


********************************************
Beaufort, South Carolina

We stayed at the Beaufort Downtown Marina for several days. Historic Beaufort is known for beautiful antebellum mansions, 400 year old live oaks with Spanish moss and great restaurants and art galleries.

Beaufort, South Carolina is pronounced "BYOO-fert". North Carolina also has a town named Beaufort, but it is pronounced "BOH-fert." Both are named for the British Duke of Beaufort which is pronounced "BYOO-fert."

Mansion in Beaufort



Our Tour Bus


In Beaufort, SC we took a horse-drawn carriage ride which was a tour of the historic town.

He is NOT the Tour Guide


While in Beaufort, Tom decided to visit a barber shop. He needed it. Tracy has yet to get a haircut...

Getting Trimmed


***************************************

Charleston, South Carolina

We stayed in Charleston for several days. Two of the days we were tourists walking the town, enjoying restaurants with friends on Endeavor, and visiting Ft. Sumpter by boat. Two of the days a technician worked on our AIS and reinstalled our repaired autohelm. He charged us for his time even though neither of those items are fully functional after his repairs.

Fort Sumpter


We had a slip in the Charleston City Marina. The ship pictured below was also in that marina at the mega dock. It is named Athena and is for sale for $53 million, but can not be sold to an American citizen while in American waters.

Athena at Night


An organization named the Americas Great Loop Cruising Association (AGLCA) does a great job helping and educating Loopers and those hoping to do the Loop. The picture below was taken at a docktail event near Charleston which was given by Kim Russo, head of the AGLCA.

AGLCA Docktails hosted by Kim Russo


We enjoyed diner at The Mellow Mushroom with Don and Peg from Endeavor. Their daughter, Nikki, and her husband, Nate, we visiting from California. The conversation was as lively as the food.

Eating at Mellow Mushroom


*************************************************
North Myrtle Beach, S C

In North Myrtle Beach we were treated to a generous dose of southern hospitality from Susie and Rod. We first met them a year ago at an AGLCA rendezvous in Norfolk, VA. Our paths have crossed again while doing The Loop at Joe Wheeler State Park, AL and again in Carrabelle, FL. Chuck and Anne on Blue Heaven met Rod and Susie in The Bahamas. The six of us had dinner at two great local restaurants. In the daytime, Susie provided transportation to see the town and re-provision. Rod gave us detailed instructions on how to safely transit The Rock Pile.

Dinner at 21 Main


Leaving North Myrtle Beach


**************************************************
Living Aboard a Sailboat on the ICW

Dinner on Bucket List


Pumping Storm Water from another Eastport Pram



Artwork on Bucket List


Retrieving Anchor at Sunrise








Counter
page visitor counter
who is online counter blog counter
Comments
Bucket List's Photos - Leaving on the Loop (Main)
Photos 1 to 3 of 3
1
 
1
20 Photos
Created 22 November 2017
11 Photos
Created 15 July 2017
27 Photos
Created 30 June 2017
23 Photos
Created 20 June 2017
20 Photos
Created 22 May 2017
25 Photos
Created 23 April 2017
11 Photos
Created 9 April 2017
5 Photos
Created 18 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 13 March 2017
10 Photos
Created 7 March 2017
9 Photos
Created 6 March 2017
8 Photos
Created 15 February 2017
8 Photos
Created 25 January 2017
20 Photos
Created 29 December 2016
1 Photo
Created 9 December 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 December 2016
3 Photos
Created 22 November 2016
7 Photos
Created 14 November 2016
2 Photos
Created 12 November 2016
11 Photos
Created 12 November 2016
3 Photos
Created 12 November 2016
1 Photo
Created 12 November 2016
7 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
6 Photos
Created 17 October 2016
2 Photos
Created 7 September 2016
No Photos
Created 20 August 2016
5 Photos
Created 28 July 2016
3 Photos
Created 28 July 2016
4 Photos
Created 28 July 2016
Loop Adventure in Beaver Island, LeLand and Frankfort dealing with high winds
4 Photos
Created 17 July 2016
3 Photos
Created 5 June 2016
No Photos
Created 5 June 2016

About & Links