Dol'Selene

1 – 10 May Opua, NZ to Pangaimotu Island, Tonga.

12 May 2010 | Tonga, Nuka'alofa
Saturday 1 May, the day finally arrived for us to leave on our big adventure. The crew, Tim and Len had joined us on Friday. A quick briefing, photo opportunity for the Island Cruising Association, ICA, fleet and fond farewell to family and friends, it was up with the anchor at 11 am and we were off with 15 - 20 knots from the south west and sloppy seas.
We settled into the watch system with 3hrs on during the day and 2hrs at night. The breeze stayed in until 4am on 3rd May when the motor had its first run. This was short lived and we continued to sail, with the gennaker up during the day until we reached North Minerva reef at midday on 6th May. Our initial intention was to visit both North and South Minerva reefs but as we approached South Minerva the wind was up and rain squalls were coming through so the decision was made to go the extra 20 nautical miles,(nm), to North Minerva. North Minerva is a reef that has formed around the top of a volcano, so in effect we anchored in the crater. On route to Minerva, Len created a moment of light relief when he accidently, or so he says, inflated his life jacket whilst inside the boat!!!!. It was a pleasant 2 day stop and gave Gail a chance to recover from her sea sickness, probably the first real sea sickness she has ever experienced, not pleasant for Gail. We were given some fresh Mahi Mahi (fish), from Guy and Simone from Laroobaa, as our great fishermen, Len and Tim, had failed to catch anything despite trailing lures' all the way from Opua!!!! We had gotten to know Simone by chatting daily on the VHF radio. They have 2 young children on board and enjoyed keeping in touch.
The weather in North Minerva was not ideal and prevented us walking on the reef, Tim and Brian did go snorkeling and spotted a reef shark, but with the weather forecast not looking to great we left early on Saturday 8 May for Pangaimotu Island Tonga, a trip of 250nm. Again the first 24 hrs was great sailing but then it came from straight in front with no winning sailing board. We made the decision to put the motor on and head straight for Tonga. Not pleasant but the correct choice. Everyone else in the fleet seemed to do the same. Dol had one big advantage, a 160 hp motor, far bigger than everyone else's and the envy of many. The only moment of interest during the 3 day trip was at 4am one morning when Brian was handing over to Tim for his watch, a ship came within 0.2 of nm of our stern, failing to respond to a radio call when Brian tried to check if they had seen us. We had tracked him on radar and were comfortable that he was going behind us, but still a little alarming to not be able to get a radio response.
It was good to finally put the anchor down outside Big Momma's on Pangaimotu Island at 09:23 (NZ time) Monday 10 May. We had sailed over a thousand miles and generally had a pretty good trip, even though the boys had caught no fish! Brian went and cleared us through customs, while we tidied the boat. It was then time for a swim, a shower and drinks at the bar. Following a good night's sleep we had a relaxing day in town, followed by a big night at Big Momma's then Len and Tim left us to return to Auckland. Thanks guys for your help and company on the trip it was a lot of fun.
Our island cruising adventures now commence.

(Photo - crew at Big Moma's)
Comments
Vessel Name: Dol'Selene
Vessel Make/Model: Warwick 47 cutter, built in three skins of New Zealand heart kauri timber, glassed over.
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Brian & Gail Jolliffe
About: Brian and Gail have retired, at least for now, to enjoy the opportunity to cruise further afield than has been possible in recent years.
Extra:
Current cruising plans are not too well advanced but we are inspired by Mark Twain’s quote “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your [...]