Dol'Selene

Bidding Farewell to Vava’u Islands, Tonga.

16 June 2010
Photo: Kenutu Island, Vava'u
A brief update before we depart Tonga for Fiji.
Our last week in Vava'u started with a group of us, Catina and Sol Maria deciding to watch the All Blacks test match against Ireland in Nieafu. Saturday is a good day for the market, so early on Saturday morning we replenished the fresh fruit and vege supply on Dol. That evening we took the dinghy's ashore and went to a local café for dinner and the match. It was a great evening, although the 2 kids off Catina, Darcy 8 and Siesha 6, slept through the game. On the Sunday, following a great snorkel at Mala Island, it was decided to take one of the boats and go for a snorkel into Mariners Cave. We left Dol and Catina in Mala Island and all clambered aboard the Catamaran Sol Maria. The low tide was 1400 hours and it was an ideal time of day, mid afternoon, to enter the cave. Mariners cave is a well known snorkel site involving an underwater swim of about 2 meters down, followed by 4 meters in, then surfacing up the 2 meters to the interior of a large cave. It is a magical experience once inside with the turquoise water visible through the entrance and a misting of the interior between wave surges to clear again and reveal the full cave. Brian, who has been in Mariners before, did the snorkel again but Gail remained on the Catamaran to assist with positioning of the support vessel as it is too deep to anchor. In addition to the "4 boys" doing the cave snorkel, was one teenage girl, Shea, from Sol Maria, and Darcy, an 8 year old from the Catamaran Catina. What a thrill it was for one so young to see the cave and do the snorkel trip in. It is not difficult but still is not for the fainthearted as entering the cave is much harder than exiting , as the visibility entering a 'dark" cave is only modest whereas when coming out you can literally see where you are going as you swim towards the sunlight. Once back at the boats an impromptu drinks and nibbles evening occurred and we were joined by friends off Pericon and Rotomanu.
Monday ourselves, Sol Maria and Catina went to the Blue Lagoon, the boys went fishing and diving, Darcy and Siesha caught up with their school work, yes it has to be done even when cruising, and Lisa and Gail relaxed. The evening was spent on Dol, with venison on the BBQ, pot luck salads, DVD's for the kids and good company enjoyed. We are now in preparation mode for leaving Vava'u for the northern Tongan island of Niuatoputapu and then Savu Savu, Fiji where we will update the blog again. Tonga has been great but it is time to move on to new places and experiences.
Whilst in Tonga Gail has read the Stieg Larsson, Millennium series, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the Girl who played with Fire and the Girl who kicked the Hornets' Nest. I had heard a lot about them before I left, but must say that I found them a struggle to read, maybe my expectations were too high. The basic underlying story is good but there is so much waffle padding the story that I almost gave up.
Phillip and Elaine - all the very best for 26th June, we'jj be thinking of you as we sail from Tonga to Fiji.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dol'Selene
Vessel Make/Model: Warwick 47 cutter, built in three skins of New Zealand heart kauri timber, glassed over.
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Brian & Gail Jolliffe
About: Brian and Gail have retired, at least for now, to enjoy the opportunity to cruise further afield than has been possible in recent years.
Extra:
Current cruising plans are not too well advanced but we are inspired by Mark Twain’s quote “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your [...]