Dol'Selene

Dol’Selene, gets a “makeover”.

01 April 2013
Photo: Dols new stern takes shape.
Dol’Selene, having had her mast removed late in the day of Monday 11th March, was ready for the start of her “makeover” Tuesday Morning.
The team at Precision Shipwrights were on board early, and with Brian’s help started removing deck fittings immediately, Brian assisting with disconnecting wiring and advising on fitting fastenings and access to all parts of the yacht. Brian was also going to tackle the dismantling of the mast and boom, removal of all fittings in preparation for painting. As it happens he didn’t achieve much of that on the Tuesday, but by home time, the majority of the deck fittings were off the aft area of the boat, including Radar pole and its numerous electronics, pushpits, cleats, aft hatch ports, exhausts and boarding platform.
Wednesday was more of the same, with deck gear coming off continuously with 3 – 4 guys working most of the time. Bimini, stanchions, pulpit, all side and forward cleats, dorays, aft chain plate and numerous other small fittings were off by evening and Brian managed to achieve quite a bit on the mast also. Halyards out, all standing rigging removed and some of the hard fittings off.
By Thursday the pattern was well developed and the end of phase one was in sight. Almost all fittings off and late in the day they commenced stripping the teak off the decks and sanding the hull commenced. Mast progress was also good.
At the end of week one, Dol’ was now pretty well stripped completely. Planning had commenced for the Hull extension, all of the teak decks were off by Saturday evening, half the hull was sanded and most of the mast and boom fittings removed.
Apart from more sanding, some fairing and filling and patterns being taken for the new Teak deck work, the second week progress consisted mainly of the Hull extension. Constructed of composites, and designed by son Garry, the new structure was well advanced within the week. In fact the temporary “mould” was off by Thursday night as all foam work had been completed for the main structure and several layers of fiberglass already completed. Seeing the extension gives us great confidence that it was the correct decision. A long way to go, but it does look very good. In addition, the week saw the mast and boom stripped of fittings and paint removal commenced, decks fully sheathed in fiberglass to create a good substrate for the new teak decks. Fittings were also sent to the chromers and anchor chain to the galvanisers.
The next week was all about creating the new transom and aft end of Dol. The new boarding platform and integrated boarding ladder, full width access step and how they will all integrate with the hull and decks was finalised. Final stages of sanding of the Hull and deck, commencement of creating the new Teak decks away from the Yacht was also undertaken. We now have almost all detailed decisions taken with any minor ones remaining to be concluded in the following week before we fly out for a few weeks back in NZ, looking forward to a break from the heat. The boat builders will then continue with the finalization of the makeover with regular updates to us electronically. Detailed finishing work on the transom, commencement of painting, teaking and detailing should be undertaken before we return to put Dol back together.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dol'Selene
Vessel Make/Model: Warwick 47 cutter, built in three skins of New Zealand heart kauri timber, glassed over.
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Brian & Gail Jolliffe
About: Brian and Gail have retired, at least for now, to enjoy the opportunity to cruise further afield than has been possible in recent years.
Extra:
Current cruising plans are not too well advanced but we are inspired by Mark Twain’s quote “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your [...]