Donna's Blog

Vessel Name: Donna
Recent Blog Posts
25 March 2019

Sailing Abroad: A Day Out at Sea in the Algarve

Having spent a long time wanting to visit the infamous Algarve, Portugal, me and my partner can finally say that we have been on this trip! So I thought that I would share the journey with you all, in the hope that you will be inspired to visit the gorgeous coastline yourself. It really was a beautiful [...]

20 March 2019

Why Sailing is Good for You

Sailing has been something that me and my husband have been enjoying as a pastime for many years now, and do you know what? It has been wonderful not just because of the obvious health benefits that come with it, but also in terms of our relationship too! I can't tell you how many good times we have [...]

18 March 2019 | Bristol

Planning My Next Sailing Trip: Where to Venture to Next?

Me and Dan (my partner for all intensive purposes) have decided that it is time to start planning a summer trip away! But where should we go? We actually have a few really cool ideas at the moment, and we just need to get them sorted into which ones we want to do the most! I thought we might put together [...]

13 March 2019 | Salcombe

The Salcombe Shores: A Windy Day On the Finnmaster

I have always loved Devon. As a place of rural beauty surrounded by crumbling cliffs and wildlife galore, it really is one of my favourite places on earth to set sail! And when better to do it than in the windy wet weather upon the Finnmaster? It was liberating!

Why Sailing is Good for You

20 March 2019
Donna Louise
Sailing has been something that me and my husband have been enjoying as a pastime for many years now, and do you know what? It has been wonderful not just because of the obvious health benefits that come with it, but also in terms of our relationship too! I can't tell you how many good times we have had on board. Even though it can sometimes be a little tricky to get up and go - especially when you are doing more difficult or exercise orientated trips - it is always one hundred percent worth it in the end.

We absolutely love sailing, and we love all of the memories that come with it. So I thought I would take the time to share with you why sailing is good for you, and why you should start doing it too!

It can be a really cheap pass time

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to spend a lot of money on expensive boating gear, or even a boat, in order to enjoy sailing. Renting a paddle boat, a kayak, or a day sailing is actually pretty good value, especially when you compare it to an all inclusive holiday! Plus you can easily get equipment using promo codes for boating goods and other outdoors tools. So it doesn't have to cost a lot!

sail

Solitude and time to think

Sailing, especially when you are on board a larger boat with accommodating weather conditions, can give you the solitude, calm and time to muse that you really need. Being able to look back at the land from the water can be a very spiritual feeling, and I know that I really do tend to enjoy the time that it gives me to think. It is commonly held knowledge that fresh air and nature gives people the opportunity for reflection, and this is no different when it comes to sailing.

It really does help to build communication

If you are sailing with someone, whether it is a team, a group of friends or as a couple, it can really help to bring you and others together. Not only are you able to spend good quality time together, but it also forces you to utilise your team working, your communication and actionable skills too. If you are sailing in treacherous conditions, then the feeling of working together really does come into play. This has been one of the reasons that mine and my husbands relationship has strengthened since we began sailing. We have really harnessed the power of teamwork!

You can get very mucky

There really is nothing like getting a little mucky! Having sticky salt ridden hair, no makeup on and getting a bit wet is good for us! It can be really liberating to have the the wind in your face and not care about how you look!

Nature and the fresh air

Being in the midst of the fresh air and natural world really is one of the best things for us, and boy does sailing force us among mother nature's wonders! Not only is this good for us mentally, but it also strengthens us physically as well! Who wouldn't want that!

sailing


There are so many reasons why sailing is good for us. Not only is it great physically and mentally, but it can also help us to build communication skills, teamwork and strengthen our relationships too! I am so happy that me and Dan found sailing, it has been the centre of our lives for so long and I have no doubt that it will continue to be!
Comments

About & Links