Sailing Somewhere Until We Get There

Dragon Adventures

Who: Cary Purvis & Tom Kohrs
Port: Freeport CA
11 January 2014 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
10 January 2014 | Port Louis Marina, Grenada
03 May 2013 | Hillsborough, Carriacou, Grenada
02 April 2013 | Martinique
27 March 2013 | Dominica
22 March 2013 | Marie Galant, Guadeloupe
20 March 2013 | Isle de Saints, Guadeloupe
17 March 2013 | Des Haies, Guadeloupe
16 March 2013 | Des Haies, Guadeloupe
14 March 2013 | Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
01 March 2013 | St Barths
27 February 2013 | Saint Martin
02 February 2013 | Fajardo, PR
08 January 2013 | Virgin Gorda, BVI's
25 November 2012 | Bitter End Yacht Club, Virgin Gorda, BVI
21 November 2012 | North Sound, Virgin Gorda, BVI
11 November 2012
11 November 2012 | Just East of the Gulf Stream
08 November 2012 | Hampton Public Piers, Hampton, VA
07 October 2012 | Back Creek, Annapolis, MD

Boat Repair in Paradise

27 February 2013 | Saint Martin
Cary
Hello Friends

"I think I can, I think I can" has been the lament of our little Yanmar engine for quite some time. With 5400 hours on the engine a persistent oil leak has been an on going concern. Tom had it checked out twice in Stonington, Conn thinking it was a rear oil seal. Both times the same mechanic determined that was not the problem. Just add more oil. But crossing from the Virgin Islands to St. Martin (an island that is half French, half Dutch) the oil was pooling under the engine. Luckily, St. Martin is the primary island in the Caribbean to have boat work done.
Dr. Diesel, a strong, strapping Polish guy, was up to the task. Off and on he and Tom worked for two weeks addressing the problem - a rear engine seal!!! In order to replace the seal the engine had to be hoisted out of the compartment to the galley floor. We had the seal but a new gasket was needed and that took a week to get from the states. See pics of the men hard at work. Seal is repaired, engine is back in place with no leaks. Yeah!
On the crossing from the Virgins a rogue wave hit us and tore the kayak (that we have had on since Ca) off the side of the boat bending the bar holding it in place. KOB - kayak over board drill. Bobbing on the waves we got to the kayak that had taken water. Had to bail the water while on a moving boat with the sun setting. With great determination we saved the kayak. Through all this Tom noted, "What a beautiful sunset."
Good stainless people in St. Martin so more support of the local economy getting a few things repaired and other pieces made like the support for the new wind generator. Lots of wind means energy for the battery. Very effective.
Not all work and no play. The French pastries are magnific and the hot chocolate is sinfully delicious. A lovely French restaurant for Valentines's Day with Pat and Eric of Cutter Loose (another Island Packet sail boat) with music and magicians.
Marde Gras on the French side was one on going celebration with Miss Elegant Plus Size Pageant. There are some large women on this island. Colorfully costumed locals in a vibrant parade rocked their way through Marigot Bay.


There are more delicious French restaurants than we can sample, but the food we've had is superb.
Anguilla, a tiny British Island, has been our most recent treat. The Cuisinart Resort gives tours of their hydroponic gardens followed by an incredible lunch in a most beautiful Greek architectural setting. Topped off by the rest of the day playing bocce ball, sitting by the pool savoring raspberry sorbet and cookies. Ah, life can be decadent but delightful!

Some of the best music we've heard has been at Johnno's in Anguilla on a Sunday afternoon on the beach overlookibng a beautiful bay while listening to a four piece jazz combo with a sultry singer was ideal for dancing.
After a brief stop in St. Martin to pick up a new mattress (0h yes, they make a mattress specific to boat size) we will head to St. Barts, Antigua and points south.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dragon's Toy
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet IP-37
Hailing Port: Freeport CA
Crew: Cary Purvis & Tom Kohrs

Dragon Adventures

Who: Cary Purvis & Tom Kohrs
Port: Freeport CA