Cruising with Kids: S/V Dream Catcher

We've sold the house, bought the boat and will homeschool our children for the next year or two aboard our 43' Sailing Catamaran. Follow the adventures of the Daniels' family as they cruise the caribbean.

10 July 2007 | Provincetown, MA
29 June 2007 | Cape May, NJ
18 June 2007 | Washington DC
04 June 2007 | Beaufort, NC
22 May 2007 | Green Turtle
20 May 2007 | Green Turtle
19 May 2007 | Guana Cay
12 May 2007 | Hope town Abacos
03 May 2007 | Eluthera Island
23 April 2007 | Fernandez Bay, Cat Island
14 April 2007 | Dover New Hampshire
02 April 2007 | Georgetown
21 March 2007 | Turks & Caicos
17 March 2007 | Mayaguana
10 March 2007 | Georgetown, Bahamas
01 March 2007 | Jamentos
27 February 2007 | Thompson Bay, LI
15 February 2007 | Georgetown
07 February 2007 | Georgetown
25 January 2007 | Conception, Exumas

Took a bite out of the apple...

20 September 2006 | Cape May, NJ
Lisa and Dave
It's been a while since our last update, believe it or not the closer we got to New York City the tougher to get a free WIFI connection. Everyone is so paranoid they have security enabled on their routers. Go figure.. Yesterday we arrived in Cape May, NJ after 2 long days of motoring (with very little sailing) from NY. We did a total of 20 hours with the wind on our noses. The crew were real troupers. In Cape May, we will wait for the right weather window prior to heading up the Delaware Bay and through the C&D canal. It is a 70 mile trip and we need to do it one day because there is virtually no place to anchor prior to that.

NYC was a hoot. The kids enjoyed the subway while we looked over our shoulders the whole time. We enjoyed watching the wildlife on the tracks as we waited for the trains. ICK!! When the kids walked out of the terminal onto Time Square they were in awe, all of the lights, cabs, noise and people. Then, they spotted a huge Toys R Us. It even had a ferris wheel inside. They were so glad they had saved their money and purchased skateboards. When we were all a bit hungry, we couldn't agree on where to eat lunch. I was thinking, Italian, Thai, Japanese. After much discussion, I lost and we went to McDonalds. Dave really missed his chicken sandwich with fries.

We were in a sweet mooring field that the Parks and Recreations runs off of 79th street. The mooring cost was only $30 a night and there was a great park and caf� right outside the locked gates of the marina. The kids got to use their new skateboards quite a bit. Dave and I enjoyed a cocktail at the caf� during sunset.

The weather was quite warm the day we went to see the Statue of Liberty. It was a quick ferry ride over to Liberty Island to see the lady up close. The kids didn't seem overly impressed, however, I find it moving every time I see her. The kids found the people watching and the street performers much more interesting.

All in all, Dave and I think that folks may have the wrong idea about NYC. We found it to be very safe and friendly.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Make/Model: Voyage Norseman 430
Hailing Port: Dover Point, NH
Crew: The Daniels
About: Dave , Lisa, DJ (13). Nicole (11)
Extra:
We've sold the house, bought the boat and will homeschool our children for the next year or two aboard our 43' Sailing Catamaran. Follow the adventures of the Daniels' family as they cruise the caribbean. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/dreamcatcher/

Our Profile

Who: The Daniels
Port: Dover Point, NH