DREAMCATCHER - Asian Cruising

25 March 2020 | Thailand
17 March 2018 | Malaysia Thailand
24 March 2017 | Royal Langkawi Yacht Club
24 March 2017 | Kata Beach early 0730, before the onslaught!
21 May 2016
30 March 2016 | Boat Lagoon Marina, Phuket Thailand
13 February 2016 | Boat Lagoon, Phuket, Thailand
03 December 2015
10 June 2015 | Straits Quay Marina, Penang
31 August 2014 | MALAYSIA – PULAU (ISLAND OF) TIOMAN AND REDANG
22 February 2014 | Asia
25 October 2013 | Redang Island
25 October 2013 | Singapore
16 June 2013 | Singapore: Keppel Bay Marina
27 May 2013 | Singapore
07 January 2013 | Rockingham, Western Australia
27 November 2012 | Malacca Straits, November 2012
25 October 2012 | Phuket, Thailand
17 September 2012 | Malaysia - East Coast
29 May 2012 | The Malacca Straits

Fishing Boats everywhere

30 January 2012 | Malaysia (Langkawi) to Thailand (Phuket)
The combination of Chinese New Year holidays and holy muslim day meant we couldn’t buy the provisions we wanted on Friday, so we sortied forth again with our contract taxi driver on Saturday morning, to shop for duty free booze – Langkawi has to have some of the cheapest (drinkable) liquor on the planet. Our planned lunchtime departure from Telaga was foiled by the arrival of a mega-yacht who tied up at the fuel dock (our intended immediate destination 50 meters away) and proceeded to take on 5,000 litres of fuel over 1.5 hours. Then the fuel pump broke and…. and… HSBC decided to block fuel transactions on my Visa card…so after a series of minor setbacks we finally left Langkawi at 1500 hrs, bound for Phuket in Thailand, 150 miles away. We left our little furry kitty-cats in the safest place we could find, and have thought about them since – how they are getting on, and we hope their fate has fallen into benevolent hands and that they are at least ok. As we left the lovely, lofty Langkawi, we set sail only to lose the wind at sunset and revert to engine power. We thus motored into probably the most densely populated fishing fleet we have ever encountered, even in the Malacca Straits. The squid fleet bears blinding white and green lights, so are clearly visible and don’t drag nets, so, basically safe sea companions. However, the other fishers – purse seiners, net draggers and individual fishermen are also out in force, and the trickiest of the lot are the dual trawlers, possibly 1 km apart, dragging a net between them in a long range closing circle. There were two waves of fishing boats: one 20-50 miles north of Langkawi, and one seemingly on the Malaysian/Thai border. At one point we counted 38 large fishing boats in proximity and the radar reflected a dozen more. A very busy night. Dawn broke adjacent to the lovely Phi Phi island group and we set sail for 6 hours in a 12-15 knot breeze that kept us on the rhumb line almost all the way into Ao Po Marina in north Phuket, near the gateway to the jaw-droppingly beautiful Phang Na Bay. So, here we are, tied up at the fuel dock (no room at the inn, due to the imminent start of the Phang Na Bay regatta.) We tore the leach of our headsail coming up, so we hired a car and dropped it off in Phuket at a sail loft the size of a 747 hangar, along with a few other boat jobs, including clearing in. On that topic – if you thought carbon paper (what’s that?!) was long dead; wrong! It’s alive and thriving in Port Captain’s/Immigration offices in Phuket and Langkawi! Our clearing in to Phuket nearly matched the ease of clearing out of Langkawi. A generous dose of forebearance and cheeriness works well. We need to remind ourselves that other countries don’t operate with the efficacy of Singapore. Good prep for the (Indian) Andamans. A lovely dinner with Rascal (our Raja Muda race boat) was followed by a busy boat job day…and off to the dinghy engine repair man tomorrow. We move aboard yacht Rusalka on Feb 1, for the 5 day Phang Na Bay regatta. We intend to win against Rascal, the boat on which we won the Raja Muda in November – check your loyalty at the dock when it comes to racing!
Comments
Vessel Name: DREAMCATCHER
Vessel Make/Model: CAL 3-46 Ketch
Hailing Port: Singapore
Crew: Henry Mellegers & Glenys Taylor
About: A collective sailing experience of over 100 years across the USA, Australia, South Pacific and now SE Asia....we love cruising in Asia............
Extra:
After sailing Dreamcatcher from San Francisco, through Mexico and across the South Pacific to Australia, and then to Singapore for 8 years, we will base her in Malaysia and Thailand to cruise the Malacca Straits and Andaman Sea. In April 2015, we moved the boat from Singapore to Penang to have [...]
Home Page: www.dreamcatchervoyage.com
DREAMCATCHER's Photos - Main
THAILAND & MALAYSIA
14 Photos
Created 25 March 2017
No Photos
Created 25 March 2017