DREAMCATCHER - Asian Cruising

25 March 2020 | Thailand
17 March 2018 | Malaysia Thailand
24 March 2017 | Royal Langkawi Yacht Club
24 March 2017 | Kata Beach early 0730, before the onslaught!
21 May 2016
30 March 2016 | Boat Lagoon Marina, Phuket Thailand
13 February 2016 | Boat Lagoon, Phuket, Thailand
03 December 2015
10 June 2015 | Straits Quay Marina, Penang
31 August 2014 | MALAYSIA – PULAU (ISLAND OF) TIOMAN AND REDANG
22 February 2014 | Asia
25 October 2013 | Redang Island
25 October 2013 | Singapore
16 June 2013 | Singapore: Keppel Bay Marina
27 May 2013 | Singapore
07 January 2013 | Rockingham, Western Australia
27 November 2012 | Malacca Straits, November 2012
25 October 2012 | Phuket, Thailand
17 September 2012 | Malaysia - East Coast
29 May 2012 | The Malacca Straits

Awful Hassle with Customs...

29 March 2012 | Port Blair
March 10 & 11
Port Blair departure.

If we haven't said enough positive things about Ravi - let us state it again: a wonderful human being, humble, completely honest, unbelievably helpful and just so easy to work with. Rascal needed 400 litres of fuel, Dreamcatcher 250. We gave the money to Ravi to purchase the fuel and deliver to the docks the next morning. He did so and arrived with 44 gallon drums and jugs on the back of an auto-rickshaw, and we all helped Rascal to get into the inner harbour, tie up and start taking on fuel. About 15 minutes later, 3 uniformed Customs officers arrived and made a big nasty scene about us breaking the law and illegally exporting fuel. Dreamcatcher's name was on the receipt so Henry was given a particularly hard time. They seemed to be on an absolute witch hunt and were unbelievably rude and belligerent. By now a crowd had drawn to see we foreigners being berated. They cut off the fuel supply to Rascal, impounded the remaining fuel and told us to report to the Customs office for punishment. We waited, fretting, for ages and then Gavin, Henry and GT spent 2 hours discussing this terrible crime of "illegal export" that we had committed, amidst ongoing threats of arrest, jail and impounding of vessels. It was unnerving and we were in a lose-lose situation. There is apparently a "process" for taking on more than about 5 litres (hand carry) of fuel, which is ridiculous as Ravi had pointed out, every boat leaving the Andamans had to re-fuel to get anywhere, the closest land being 400 miles away in any direction. We went to-ing and fro-ing with the customs officials, were made to write statements of confession and apology and put in very compromised positions. Next, they came after Ravi, accusing him of being an illegal supplier, also with a threat of jail. The bottom line is that they were highly corrupt jerks who were on a witch-hunt and if they couldn't convict us, they wanted Ravi. They also tried to accuse us of currency fraud, claiming we had paid for the fuel in US dollars (it is illegal to bring in foreign currency or Rupees purchased overseas to the Andamans).... which we hadn't and were able to produce all the local ATM chits for the rupees we had used to purchase the fuel. Our final play to the officials was to invoke our respective embassies: Australia, Singapore, Britain and the USA. That slowed them down. We had a highly stressful, awful day. Customs finally cleared the fuel for release at sunset, after extracting a "fine" from Ravi (read, bribe) and we retired, stressed out, to a final Andaman dinner at the Emerald hotel and an agreement to do the re-fuelling in the morning via the laborious jerry-can approach as we did not wish to bring the boats alongside the dock again, in case Customs were tempted to impound them. We later found out that a fellow called Vijay, who purports to provide a similar service to Ravi, had called Customs and reported the fuelling. Vijay does not speak good English and thus uses an agent to help clear in yachts, much to their surprise when they get a big bill on departure. Vijay is a "snake in the grass" and to be avoided. All other officials : Immigration, Port Captain and Coast Guard were fine - it was Customs who were highly corrupt and we will be taking the matter further.

It took several hours to re-fuel the following day, sharing jerry-cans between the two boats and Smystery helping with their dinghy. We all got away early afternoon, on a fine breeze, bound for the Similan Island group in Thailand.
Before we left we did a whip-round and paid for Ravi's fine.
Pic shows re-fuelling Rascal from jerry cans, at the inner Port Blair harbour
Comments
Vessel Name: DREAMCATCHER
Vessel Make/Model: CAL 3-46 Ketch
Hailing Port: Singapore
Crew: Henry Mellegers & Glenys Taylor
About: A collective sailing experience of over 100 years across the USA, Australia, South Pacific and now SE Asia....we love cruising in Asia............
Extra:
After sailing Dreamcatcher from San Francisco, through Mexico and across the South Pacific to Australia, and then to Singapore for 8 years, we will base her in Malaysia and Thailand to cruise the Malacca Straits and Andaman Sea. In April 2015, we moved the boat from Singapore to Penang to have [...]
Home Page: www.dreamcatchervoyage.com
DREAMCATCHER's Photos - Main
THAILAND & MALAYSIA
14 Photos
Created 25 March 2017
No Photos
Created 25 March 2017