Sailing Dreams

Vessel Name: Dreams Do Come True
Vessel Make/Model: Fontaine Pajot Lipari
Hailing Port: Miami, Florida
Crew: Claudia Kiefer and Elton Kelley
About: Here we are… Claudia Kiefer and Elton Kelley, married for 28 years, so far. We’re both retired Naval Officers, and we’ve been planning our sail-away for countless years.
Extra:
In October 2012, while enjoying the Annapolis Sailboat show, we fell in love with the 2013 Fontaine Pajot 41’ Lipari catamaran. We scraped up all our savings, and put our names on the list for the next hull # to be built. Our boat was finally released from the factory in early January 2013. [...]
06 April 2017 | Hopetown, Elbow Cay, Abaco
21 March 2017 | Spanish Wells
14 March 2017 | Cat Island
01 March 2017 | Great Exuma Island
16 February 2017 | Emerald Bay Marina, Great Exuma Island
24 January 2017 | Marina at Emerald Bay
16 January 2017 | Staniel Cay Yacht Club
10 January 2017 | Exumas Land and Sea Park, Warderick Wells
28 December 2016 | Bay Street Marina, Nassau
20 December 2016 | The Berry Islands
12 December 2016 | Grand Bahamas Yacht Club
02 December 2016 | Saint Augustine Municipal Marina
24 November 2016 | Charleston City Marina
08 October 2016
Recent Blog Posts
06 April 2017 | Hopetown, Elbow Cay, Abaco

The Blows of Abaco

Our visit to Abaco featured mostly high winds interspersed with occasional calm. Our first stop in Abaco was the beautiful and well protected "Little Harbor", where we picked up a well-maintained "Pete's Pub" mooring on 21 March 2017. In the mid-1950s, the world-renowned sculptor, Randolph Johnston [...]

21 March 2017 | Spanish Wells

Spanish Wells and Dunmore Town

We departed Royal Island early on 14 March, and motored a short 5 miles up to St. George's Cay, to a delightful newly renovated marina called Spanish Wells Yacht Haven. St. George's Cay was originally the home of the peaceful Arawak Indians. However, within 25 years after Columbus, Ponce De Leon, and [...]

14 March 2017 | Cat Island

Cat Island / Eleuthera

After almost 5 weeks at Emerald Bay, nearly everything on Dreams is back to working order; new anemometer, new generator voltage regulator and new shorepower cable connectors. Hooray!

Staniel Cay

16 January 2017 | Staniel Cay Yacht Club
After 5 days on the mooring ball, we were thrilled to get underway on Tuesday morning, 10 January. Enroute to Staniel Cay, the weather was pretty rough, but at one point there appeared a beautiful double rainbow. It was so huge out on the water that we couldn't get a full shot of it in one camera view. We thought we might anchor off Staniel Cay, but the winds and seas were fearsome, so we headed directly into the Staniel Cay Yacht Club.
The Yacht Club is a small resort, as well as a marina. It offered a very inviting and picturesque setting, with colorful cottages for rent. Of course, it also had an attractive restaurant and bar, complete with large screen TVs and pool table. Just off-shore there was a school of 6 foot nurse sharks, referred to as Yacht Club "Pets". They were pretty scary looking, especially at feeding time.
Naturally, we arrived at Staniel Cay Yacht Club at low tide, and we had only 1.9ft under the keel on our approach to the docks. We hooked up shore power thinking our 110V problems would be resolved, but not a chance. We spent a few hours troubleshooting that afternoon to no avail. We thought we might have a couple bad circuit breakers, and hoped to have them flown-in from Ft. Lauderdale. We spent the next morning on the phone with Johann, Re-fitz, Inc. from Ft Lauderdale consulting us with our electricity problems. Turned out not to be circuit breakers, but a voltage inverter issue, which would have to wait till we reached a place to offer marine services, possibly Georgetown. For this visit, Elton rigged an extension cord from our washer/dryer outlet that doesn't use the inverter, and we have all the 110V we could possibly want. Of course the yacht club internet was down, but being the ingenious guy he is, Elton rigged our Wirie internet booster with a BTC card, and hallelujah hotspot!
We rented a golf cart and proceeded to check off some much-needed boat chores, like taking the trash to the dump and doing laundry. The laundry was also the wholesale??? liquor store, and by the time we left we had 6 loads of clean clothes, 2 bottles of spiced rum, and were $100 poorer. Luckily, the mail boat arrived the next day, so we could buy fresh produce, and lots of other provisions. We visited every shop on the island and thought we struck gold with all the fresh produce we were fortunate enough to buy.
The next day, noting that we had completed every "need to do" activity, we decided to tour the island .... Which took less than an hour. We also drove into a very "exclusive" area of the island in which every home was absolutely gorgeous and grand. There was a "waterfront" for sale sign there, but decided against inquiring .... Wonder why?
Anyway, after returning the golf cart we walked back to the marina and noted another Fountaine-Pajot catamaran docked right behind us. This cat was a little larger (47') and a little older (1999) than ours. After saying hello to Jerry and his wife Phillis, and talking about our French-made boats, we realized that we had the same charger/inverter problem. It turns out, after talking to Vitron Energy Tech Support, our inverters were receiving too high voltage and would consequently not operate. After all that trouble-shooting, it has come down to a high voltage issue from shore, and there's nothing the marina can do about it .... Oh well .... We in the Bahamas .... Be happy ;).
Over the next few days, we walked the entire island at least once. We visited the Ho Tai Beach Park, Pirate Trap Beach, Ocean Beach, and the Bonefish Creek. The views were absolutely spectacular! The winds were up most of the time, so we didn't do a lot of swimming. We visited the now closed Thunderball (think James Bond) Club which was used by the Hollywood group during the filming of Thunderball. One day, we took the dinghy to Thunderball Grotto and snorkeled the same underwater cave that was featured in the film. We were the only people there at the time, so it made for a pretty magical experience. There were numerous varieties of colorful fish, and several schools circling around us, as we swam around them. All-in-all, our visit to Staniel Cay was very extremely enjoyable and very relaxing.

Comments
Dreams Do Come True's Photos - Main
21 Photos
Created 6 April 2017
29 Photos
Created 21 March 2017
23 Photos
Created 14 March 2017
20 Photos
Created 1 March 2017
15 Photos
Created 16 February 2017
17 Photos
Created 24 January 2017
21 Photos
Created 16 January 2017
34 Photos
Created 10 January 2017
20 Photos
Created 28 December 2016
15 Photos
Created 20 December 2016
9 Photos
Created 12 December 2016
34 Photos
Created 2 December 2016
30 Jun 2016 -24 Nov 2016
20 Photos
Created 24 November 2016
Dreams Do Come True Maiden Voyage - January 2013 La Rochelle, France to Miami, Florida
28 Photos
Created 30 September 2016

About & Links

Photo Albums
06 April 2017
21 Photos
21 March 2017
29 Photos